Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Front plug missing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:42 PM
theoldguy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front plug missing?

Ok, not knowing much about how to fix engines and knowing that I'll have to take it to the dealer, can someone tell me in advance what the possible problem is? I have a 05 wide glide, and the other day I was out riding and all the sudden it started acting like it was out of gas. EFI, so no reserve, head to the nearest station and fill up... not outta gas... Baby the thing home and pull the plugs, front plug was wet carboned, almost looks like oil, back one was fine. checked the plug wire, doesn't appear to be cracked broken or arcing. Cleaned and re-gapped the plug, stuck it back in, rode about 5 miles and went back home. Pulled the plug out after it cooled, and the same thing, altho one side of the plug appears to be normal and the other side is carboned up. Also, it looks like oil on the plug threads at the top, also a slight film of oil where the plug goes in... 6500 miles on the bike... is it dead or dying... Oh, it has SE II slip-on, SE air cleaner and took it to the dealer to have it re-mapped. Any help is appreciated... thanks...

Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Front plug missing?

Some 05s have a valve seal problem. Dealers are aware of it and have new replacement seals.
Sounds like that might be your problem.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
theoldguy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front plug missing?

Thank you SO much... I was afraid that I did something to it and was gonna end up payin big bucks for a new engine or something.