Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Yep! Bad Crane ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 04:50 PM
zenwarrior
|
Cruiser
Default Yep! Bad Crane ignition!

After all the time and work...it IS the Crane ignition module. Piece of crap! I took the cover off the housing...as I ride (which has gotten impossible) I tap on the module with the handle of a screwdriver and it will start missing..tap it again, straightens out...tap it again, backfires..and so on and so on. So here I sit on the first big ride weekend! I called Crane, sat on hold (no 800 number, sucks!) so I just faxed them a complaint. Thanks to all who offered advice...have a great weekend in the wind!
zen

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:07 AM
ragrat64
Cruiser
Default RE: Yep! Bad Crane ignition!

Hey- Let me know what you come up with when you talk to crane, I have heard the customer service sucks, I wondered if I could get some settlement from them, It was on the bike when I bought it.

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:42 AM
zenwarrior
|
Cruiser

Didnt hear back from Crane, don't expect I will. I am in business myself and my first rule is "keep your customers happy". One unhappy customer can cost you many not coming through your door...and now, with internet, it can cost you thousands of customers. Seems like a company it's size could at least spring for a return call? I made the mistake of telling customer service why I was calling...they transfered me to tech...I sat on hold forever...sucks they dont even have an 800 number.
Anyone have experience with Crane service?
Whats a good replacement?

Tyhanks,
zen

Old 05-25-2007 | 12:22 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Well that really blows. I have to admit, i've been spoiled by Dynatek with all their perfect customer service! They backed what they advertise, and go above and beyond to every single customer!

OK, enough of that. I called Crane for you, and spoke to a gentleman named Frank, I asked him straight up as to why no 800 number and why no email addy for tech help, and here is what he said.
When they did have an email addy, it lasted for about 1 day, simply because they were hit with too many non-technical questions, and spent too much time trying to weed out the customers who needed real help.
As for the 800 number, well same basic thing. Normally you would get anywhere from a no wait to approx. 10-15 minutes for help, when they had that toll free number, people were waiting over an hour or 2 for help, so that went poof too.
He says so far this number 386-258-6174 Tech Line, has worked the best.
Frank seemed pretty straight up, I'd try giving him a call and see if he can help you out.

Old 05-25-2007 | 03:21 PM
hard_head
Tourer

Ummm.... I just put a crane on my bike. This the nose cone job that is going bad or the stock mount module going bad???? All this crappy crane talk kinda has me wondering..... wtf? Help?

Swede

Old 05-25-2007 | 04:26 PM
camaroman7d
4th Gear

I have had nothing but, good luck with Crane products. I have been running Crane ignitions in my hot rods for years and never had a problem. I have called their tech support twice and they were extrememly helpful. Based on my past experience with them I just bought a HI-4TC, Crane coil and wres for my Dyna. I have yet to install any of it because of other projects but, I expect the same quality they have given me in the past. Have there been more complaints about the Crane ignitions? Every company has a bad product or two get out the door, it's all about how they handle it to make it right that counts. Sounds like Zen hada rough experience with their tech support.

I sold one of my old/used Crane ignitions (I upgraded newer unit for supercharged applications) to a friend of mine. He wired it up wrong and thought he ruined it (car wouldn't start), he sent the unit to Crane, they checked it out and it was fine, they made a few upgrades to it (new wiring harness)and sent it back to him. All he paid for was shipping. That is pretty good customer service. The problem was he burned up the module in the distributor, not the Crane ignition.

I would like to hear more good or bad about the Harley Crane ignitions. Do they use the same tech support number for Motorcycle and Auto?

Old 06-02-2007 | 02:29 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Any updates?

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:27 PM
zenwarrior
|
Cruiser

I installed another Crane I got off e-bay, new. Runs great! Have not got hold of Crane co yet, going to send the old one back, see if they can check it, repair it, keep it for back up.
Thanks,
zen

Old 06-04-2007 | 01:27 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Good deal, glad to hear your back up and running again!

Old 06-04-2007 | 02:09 PM
zenwarrior
|
Cruiser

Back up and running again, but....now I have this stupid backfire, no rpm pattern to it...mabey a short...blows blue smoke out the carb sometimes. Always something...shut her off, go to start, dead ignition. I can start her off the solenoid plunger...next time out, starts fine at the ignition, shut her off, go to restart, dead again. I just have a spring loaded key ignition, just put it on new this past winter.
Thanks,
zen

Quick Reply: Yep! Bad Crane ignition!