Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help a Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM
HDA
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Beginner

Hey just bought an 02 Sportster 883. This is my first bike and I just had a few question about it.

1. When I try and start up the bike I am sitting with ththe choke out ignition on and in first gear but the bike isn't moving forward when I ease off the clutch. It stalls before I can get moving.

2. The guy I got the bike from was using a small binder clip to keep the choke open. My question is how to use the choke properly. I turn on the bike and let it sit and warm up the engine and roll the throttle a little. But when I put the choke back in it stalls. Also how long should I leave the choke open for?

3. I also stalled out while on a main road. I shifted down to first to stop and was just sitting there waiting for the light and when I eased off the clutch it stalled. Didn't do anything besides sit and wait for the light. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the choke issue or something else

I am not very mechanical savvy when it comes to motorcycles so I have a hard time wrapping my head around what the problem could be. It's also very possible that it is user error and I'd appreciate help with that too.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like you need to up the idle speed on the carb. Search here in the forum or google it and you will find out how to do it not hard.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

If you mean the choke won't stay out - gently tighten the nut where the cable passes through the bracket - that will fix that.

If you are stalling out the bike trying to get it moving, either you either need more throttle, easier into the clutch, or it's not warmed up and you have the choke problem that will be fixed with the nut being tightened.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Assuming the bike is properly tuned, leave the choke out until it starts to sputter, then push choke in. Sometimes you need to push the choke in 1/2 way for a bit, then all the way in when fully warmed up.

Also, start the bike in neutral, a lot easier on the components. You may have to give it more throttle from a stop.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF.

1. Once you have sorted out the choke (see below) and idle speed (if necessary), you simply have to get used to synchronising clutch and engine speed, to make reliable getaways.

2. PO was a dunce! The choke has a friction device which can be adjusted, as Ed points out above, so that it will stay where you pull it to. Having started your bike you should be able to ease the choke in a little, which will keep your bike running and enable you to ride off. After a mile or so you should be able to push the **** fully home.

3. It is possible your idle speed is set too slow, it should be around 1,000rpm.

4. Enrol on a local rider training programme, where you can get expertise and advice on pulling away from a stop. If there is anything not quite right with your bike they will be able to identify that and give you advice. We can't do that over the internet!

Old 10-21-2021, 10:06 AM
csonni
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If you mean the choke won't stay out - gently tighten the nut where the cable passes through the bracket - that will fix that.
Did as instructed and it worked. I think I was misunderstanding what to tighten. I was thinking of the plastic adjuster only.

The following users liked this post:
Ed Ramberger (10-21-2021)