Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Engine Light

1998 FLTCUI Stage 1 with 55,000 miles

The engine light comes on for about three seconds, then it goes off. I then start the bike and the light would stay off.

Just yesterday though....it still comes on for about three seconds, then it goes off. I then start the bike. Then the light comes back on for about five seconds and then goes back off.

Nothing has changed or has been modified in any way since the light started doing that. The bikes still starts fine and runs fine delivering 50 mpg.

Should I still look into why the light is doing that....perhaps pull codes? Or simply ignore it since the light does go off and the bike runs fine?

Thanks,

Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine Light

Get the code checked. When I had my 98 it was just the cam position sensor which was fine - however the bike kicked a code for something and if you expect to get another 55000 out of it, you should probably see what it was.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:48 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

on my 1998 road king classic with fuel inj. you can read the codes doing the following:
1-turn ignition key switch to ignition and then turn off 1 second after fuel pump stops.
2.repeat #1 again..remember 1 second after pump stops
3.turn ignition key switch to ignition and wait about 8 seconds for a bunch of flashing of the check engine light
it will then stop for 2 seconds..get ready... these are the codes you must count:
it will slowly flash 1,2,3,5....there is NO 4....this is the first digit of the 2 digit code ..so it can only be 1,2,3,5 __ __
then a 2 second pause...then you will get second digit of the 2 digit code..it can only be 1,2,3,4,5,6
remember after the complete 2 digit code is given you will go back to the rapid flash sequence..
there are a total of 15 codes available with this procedure
examples
52,53,54,55 bad news ECM replacement
56 crank/cam sensor
11 throttle sensor
12 barometric
23 and 32 are injectors front/rear
24 coil
33 fuel pump relay--in this case you would not hear the pump but instead waited 3 seconds after the on / off sequence
in order to erase any codes you must disconnect the battery or wait for 50 on and off riding cycles

Old 05-20-2007, 12:53 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

#56 is common,
did you have a bad start ? with a back fire?
double check the wires for crank/cam position sensor.
look at the wires that go into the timer V2 cone on the right(throttle side)..anything melted?
if you do get the #56 most times it is a hick-up, erase and see if it repeats.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:07 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

The light came on after.....I came home from a long ride and the engine was warmed up. Parked in the shop and shut-off the bike. The bike sat for about an hour out there. I came back out to start the bike and do an errand on it....then the light came on for a split second.

Now, the light only comes on after it is started and only for a few seconds. I will probably pull codes sometime today or tomorrow....depending on time.

Thanks everyone

Old 05-20-2007, 07:36 PM
mdavis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 RoadKing did the same thing a few weeks ago,It threw a code 56,so I replaced the crankshaft sensor.The bike still seemed to run a little rich(same as before the new sensor)but no engine light.Today on the way back from Memphis the engine light came right after I started the bike and went offa couple of seconds later,I also noticed oil dripping out of the air cleaner.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

Ok, I pulled the codes....and it was 56 crank/cam sensor. So, the next questions are....

Does anyone have the testing procedure for the sensor? My Clymer manual only shows removal/installation, unfortunately.

Does anyone have a part-number for the sensor?I don't always trust the parts counter person and I like to shop around on the internet as well.

Lastly, if I just disconnected the battery....would that possibly fix the problem? I assume it only threw the code once since the light does go off and stay off eventually.

Thanks again folks!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership cleared my code for me at no charge. Perhaps yours would do the same for you.

I never did this, but the service tech indicated that because of the location sometimes the wires get dirty and cause the code to register. He suggested that I clean it up. I never did because I traded it before it kicked on again.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

I removed the sensor and cleaned it as well. I also cleaned the area around it. Reinstalled it and disconnected the battery. The engine light now goes off and stays off.

When I first started it....alot of black deposits from the exhaust came out. I suppose when the sensor was out of whack, it was running inefficently and carbon was building up. Fixed the problem and it apparently cleaned the carbon out as well.

No more engine light

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's called a historic code. If the light stays on then it's a current code. Mine did the same thing when one of my spark plug wires were loose. Have you dealer clear the code for you.

Quick Reply: Engine Light