Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

03 deuce Fuel Inj Sputtering Coughing low RPMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016 | 06:49 PM
bbrothers726
|
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 deuce Fuel Inj Sputtering Coughing low RPMS

I have a 2003 Deuce that is Fuel Inj. I bought it from a guy and about 3 weeks after it started Sputtering/coughing when I leave a light or stop sign in lower RPM's. If I feather the clutch and bring the RPM's up its good leaving a stop.

The bike has V & H pipes and an intake. I looked at the old receipts from when he had it done and it mentioned stage 1 download.. May need Power Commander. Someone told me I should look into the V&H fuel pak so the air fuel is where is should be.

I replaced the plugs and it popped from the Intake/Filter area. I also ran a fuel injector cleaner through the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Anything helps.

Old 06-02-2016 | 07:46 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrothers726
I have a 2003 Deuce that is Fuel Inj. I bought it from a guy and about 3 weeks after it started Sputtering/coughing when I leave a light or stop sign in lower RPM's. If I feather the clutch and bring the RPM's up its good leaving a stop.

The bike has V & H pipes and an intake. I looked at the old receipts from when he had it done and it mentioned stage 1 download.. May need Power Commander. Someone told me I should look into the V&H fuel pak so the air fuel is where is should be.

I replaced the plugs and it popped from the Intake/Filter area. I also ran a fuel injector cleaner through the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Anything helps.
It needs tuning I would say....and I would not suggest the fuel pack to do it with.
Where are you located?
Doc

Old 06-02-2016 | 07:49 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

Do the pipes have baffles?

Old 06-02-2016 | 08:22 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 976 Likes on 675 Posts

Did it run perfect for three weeks then suddenly start missing?

Old 06-03-2016 | 08:22 AM
bbrothers726
|
4th Gear

Philly PA.

Yes the pipes have baffles. It seemed to be running perfect.. I took the filter off the intake to spray it with the air hose.. A little after that it started sputtering..

I also noticed the check engine light came on yesterday when i was riding for like 5 seconds. When i got home i held the trip button in and there wasnt any codes.

Old 06-03-2016 | 11:27 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Probably something to do with the intake. Take the air cleaner off and carefully remount it. Make sure that there is nothing between the throttle body, and the backing plate. If that doesn't work check for intake leaks.

Old 06-03-2016 | 11:30 AM
bbrothers726
|
4th Gear

I was going to take it all off and replace the gasket.

Old 06-04-2016 | 06:23 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 03 deuce Fuel Inj Sputtering Coughing low RPMS

Take off your air filter cover and grab the front injector wire with the engine running. Push and pull the wires near the connector to see if it changes.

When my injector wire broke, it would idle fine but miss under load or when cruising. It was very erratic at first and gradually worsened.

Old 06-06-2016 | 03:33 PM
bbrothers726
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LazySundays
Take off your air filter cover and grab the front injector wire with the engine running. Push and pull the wires near the connector to see if it changes.

When my injector wire broke, it would idle fine but miss under load or when cruising. It was very erratic at first and gradually worsened.
I am going to check this out tonight. I am going to put NGK plugs in tonight also. Any other ideas or things i should try while i am in there.

Old 06-06-2016 | 06:05 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrothers726
I am going to check this out tonight. I am going to put NGK plugs in tonight also. Any other ideas or things i should try while i am in there.
kEEP THE STOCK PLUGS IN.....!

Quick Reply: 03 deuce Fuel Inj Sputtering Coughing low RPMS