Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TPS Replacement Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by wigman87
Sorry, yes the numbers you stated are the correct ones I got. So I guess I need to start looking for other issues then?
I would believe so. Those are good numbers.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Unheilig
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all!
1) Can I use the 0.275 volts for TPS for Marelli or not?
I was make the setup! But cold idle screw has another indication (not 0.860v) because I changed it by the hand to reduction of rpm from 3000 to 1000.

Day1...
Made the setting like in this video - 0.275 volts
. Before tuning it was 0.860 volts or so. Pulled out the ECU fuses but only for 20 sec max. I did the synchronization according to the instructions: “To synchronize the ECM and the idle speed control actuator, turn the engine switch to the RUN position. Then turn the ignition key to the IGNITION position for five seconds and OFF for 10 seconds. Repeat this step once." After setting up, I turned on the ignition and the motorcycle started at an increased revs up to 3000. Further, I saw flashes in the intake manifold and a whistle. Light panic.

Day2...
Arithmetic tells me that:
TPS had 0.860 volts
Became 0.275 volts
Those. 3.127 times less! But, the rpm is now around 3000 rpm ...
Normal RPM 950-1050rpm
Those. I need 3.127 times less to unscrew the idle screw! =)
Replaced the intake manifold gasket (just behind the air filter), which is crumbling.

Day3...
Adjusting the idle screw on a warm engine had no effect. The idle rpm was high up to 3000 on cold engine.
I began to turn the idle screw on a cold engine, in the end I had to screw it back a couple of turns, i.e. video adjustment did not suit me. I did not touch TPS with 0.275 volts. I was able to adjust the RPM to 1100-1200.
Further, the idle screw on the warm engine was tightened very carefully, if the speed does not correspond to the norm, then the check engine lights up. So I set it up.

Then I began to setup the Dobeck box itself. In principle, the effect on the first screw appeared. Although, spraying a carb cleaner on the manifold gasket in the front cylinder, I recorded an increase in revs. Despite this, it was possible to set up. The warm engine idle rpm is 1000.

I drove a little, when accelerating to 3000, a large thrust appeared, before it was not. The mixture itself has become richer, you can even smell it. It is not clear by the claps from the pipes whether it is better.

At now I am riding and check other Dobeck settings. I sprayed between cylinders behind the airfilter, where manifold is connecting to cylinders. And today no one air leaks. Fantastics!

Also, my mistake with that: "IMPORTANT: REMOVE BOTH ECM AND FUEL PUMP FUSES FOR AT LEAST ONE MINUTE AND REPLACE TO RESET THE ECM READINGS BEFORE STARTING THE MOTOR!" May be should do it again becausу I pulled out the fuses only fo 20 sec. lol
I hope I don't have to set it up all over again. Yes, and like having driven for 3 hours nothing broke again. ))

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 AM
R Zapek M Zapek
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
The higher tp masks the leanness of true duals by adding timing and fuel. If you cant get it to idle properly there is an issue or you aren't following the procedure. For an mm your best thing is a power commander with a dual cylinder map not the cobra.

It sounds like the problem was in the bike when you bought it.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve helped several members offline. If tou ever want to dig into it let me know. We can chat[/QUOTE]

the patient is RG 98r. EVO which values ​​are better .175, .195 or 275v?

Last edited by R Zapek M Zapek; 11-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

The .275 value is for EVO MM
The .195 value was a great base for TC MM as they were typically set slightly lower than that in stock trim.

H-D failed to correct the setting in TC books and reused the EVO value. It slipped past and was never corrected.

The following users liked this post:
Alexopino (10-08-2023)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:40 AM
R Zapek M Zapek
6th Gear

The .275 value is for EVO MM
The .195 value was a great base for TC MM as they were typically set slightly lower than that in stock trim.

H-D failed to correct the setting in TC books and reused the EVO value. It slipped past and was never corrected.
understand i have to set the initial value of .275v and then go through all the procedure you specified post # 24? am I doing well?

Last edited by R Zapek M Zapek; 11-12-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

If you don't have a Scanalyzer or a way to monitor the data, that is a good way for you to do it. If you understand a multimeter and how to back-probe the sensor, you can watch the TP voltages as you do it. There was a bulletin for Twin cam that explained how to set it up using voltages, and a lot of people got confused or had trouble at home. That's what prompted the step-by-step I listed above. I honestly don't remember if there is a procedure using voltages in the old EVO manuals. I can check this evening to see if I can find values. Again, would only work if you understand back-probing the sensor.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 11-12-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM
R Zapek M Zapek
6th Gear

If you don't have a Scanalyzer or a way to monitor the data, that is a good way for you to do it. If you understand a multimeter and how to back-probe the sensor, you can watch the TP voltages as you do it. There was a bulletin for Twin cam that explained how to set it up using voltages, and a lot of people got confused or had trouble at home. That's what prompted the step-by-step I listed above. I honestly don't remember if there is a procedure using voltages in the old EVO manuals. I can check this evening to see if I can find values. Again, would only work if you understand back-probing the sensor.

I set the multimeter to 275-650 but it did not start as easily as now, after using the procedure you provided. Maybe I was doing something wrong. After firing it, it did not raise the revolutions to 1300, but it started slowly. When you find the procedures for EVO, please describe them like boys in between, so I understand. thank you very much

Old 11-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Unheilig
Advanced

I was readjust the voltage to .195v an already run about 1000km, perfect! fot TC MM 2001.

The following users liked this post:
Ed Ramberger (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by R Zapek M Zapek
I set the multimeter to 275-650 but it did not start as easily as now, after using the procedure you provided. Maybe I was doing something wrong. After firing it, it did not raise the revolutions to 1300, but it started slowly. When you find the procedures for EVO, please describe them like boys in between, so I understand. thank you very much
The .275V number was given if measuring before hand was not possible. I am attaching the step by step from the 1997 Touring Service Manual. Get your hot idle correct. You can always adjust the cold idle screw to adjust cold idle later. You have to have a properly functioning ET sensor and ISC motor for all of this to work correctly. Also, no intake leaks.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:44 PM
R Zapek M Zapek
6th Gear

Can I use the procedure in EVO that you provided in post # 24. After following this procedure it's ok, I just need to change the value to 275 instead of 195

Quick Reply: TPS Replacement Suggestions...