Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Air Cleaner for 2016 103HO

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:45 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That is in the log from the PV assuming you include it in the field list.

The IAT sensor on a Harley is normally mounted in the throttle body as I recall.

Andy

Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I have had good results with the Harley Heavy Breather type setup but my Sporty does not have Tupperware.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy - on another forum, I asked about the ACs that are opened up on the back side for more air flow. The answer I got (from a well respected forum vendor/member/sponsor) was that tests of ACs with backside openings drawing between the cylinders and open front style showed no difference in HP or torque. It was noted that the IAT sensor is located about halfway between the A/C face and the intake valve on the TB and is sensing direct heat (my interpretation) rather than it being totally intake air temp.

Your thoughts?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:21 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

On a Dyno, it is almost impossible to duplicate airflow supplying the air filter as it comes around the front tire, the Tupperware, your knees, the cooling find, radiator (VRod and most non Harleys)..... I always look at the intake air temp as the bike is on the road. I like to see the IAT within about 30 degrees of the outside air temp most of the time. It is very common to see up to 165 degrees at idle on logs with some of these designs.

Last edited by whittlebeast; 05-07-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:45 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Here is a good air filter.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...r%20Filter.png

Compare that to the really bad filter.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...r%20Filter.png

Note that the scales are about the same on both logs.

If your dyno guy is not showing you this stuff and explaining it, fire him. What else is he hiding or ignoring? This is all basic tuning 101. Motors want lots of cool, clean and smooth air.

Andy

Last edited by whittlebeast; 05-07-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 AM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

On the Rushmore wetheads, getting into the cool air stream is going to be a challenge, but a quick look at one of my logs looks like the bad one of yours - VSS goes up, IAT goes drastically down - what I'm looking at is that the IAT is still fairly high compared to Ambient at cruising speed... Hmmm .... I wonder if I've still got a piece of that Olds 442 ram air duct work....

Old 05-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Don't want to p**s anyone off here, but I've gone through all these mods on previous HDs, some EVO, some TC88. It is in my humble opinion after riding and racing motorcycles since 1973, that this is all a waste of money. My new RK with the 103 is fine the way it came from the factory with HP and Torque. I did put a set of SE slip on's on it, but not for performance gains. I simply want to be heard in traffic.

That being said, the only thing I really got out of past mods, by seat of the pants feel, is a little crisper throttle response. The gains in HP and Torque are, again my opinion, not worth the cash flow.

Without a turbo or cams or a complete top end replacement, your return on you investment just isn't there.

Of course, I had someone tell me all that long ago, and I didn't listen... I just had to find out for myself.

This is a free country (so far), so we can all do what we want, and I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just thought I'd throw these thoughts out there.

Last edited by Check6; 05-07-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

I spoke with service and parts guys at a couple different HD dealerships in my are about the new HO103 air cleaner. Basically the consensus was its not a high flow air cleaner its just "higher flow" then what was on the old 103 and older bikes.. basically if you want maximum performance id get a high flow aftermarket air cleaner, full exhaust and a good tuner like the FP3 or a good dyno tune. I personally like the Arlen Ness inverted air cleaner. Im going with the Deep cut version in chrome for my 16 Fatboy soon. I saw them in person and the quality fit and finish is amazing on tthem and really set the bike off.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:01 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I spoke with service and parts guys at a couple different HD dealerships in my are about the new HO103 air cleaner. Basically the consensus was its not a high flow air cleaner its just "higher flow" then what was on the old 103 and older bikes.. basically if you want maximum performance id get a high flow aftermarket air cleaner, full exhaust and a good tuner like the FP3 or a good dyno tune. I personally like the Arlen Ness inverted air cleaner. Im going with the Deep cut version in chrome for my 16 Fatboy soon. I saw them in person and the quality fit and finish is amazing on tthem and really set the bike off.
Myself, I don't drink the Kool aid from the dealers, most are interested in selling parts. The only real difference you will see is in the WOT areas, how many folks ride around with the throttle pinned? Your biggest gain on a stock Rushmore will be exhaust and a good tune, the good tune will bring the most to the table. The differences between the air cleaners will not be felt by the seat of the pants, unless one is susceptible to a placebo. Its just like a guy bolting on a loud exhaust and making the comment, it runs like a scalded dog. He thinks since its making noise, it has to be faster. There are a boat load of loud exhaust out there which are actually power killers.