Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Retune: Use Map in ECM or use a Canned

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
BlackBastard
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Retune: Use Map in ECM or use a Canned

Question for tuners:

1. Suppose a customer has you tune his bike. Then a year later he swaps out the TB body and exhaust. When he returns to you, would you use the map you tune his engine before or would you download a canned map to work off.

2. Suppose one tuner tunes an ECM. Then customer on a road trip wants another tuner to check the map and tweak as necessary. Would the new tuner look at map and tweak if possible or would tuner download a canned map to tune off it? Perhaps customer has decal pop or getting less gas mileage and would just like a different tuner to look at the map.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm no professional tuner, I can tell you what happened 3 times I had my one build on the dyno by 3 different tuners. The 1st tune was done by what the locals called the best guy for a tune, he sucked. Bike ran hot and pinged. Took the bike to a different tuner, he wasn't interested in the previous dyno tuned map, he wanted to start from a clean slate. A couple years later I had another person tune it because I thought it could be just a little bit better. He also wasn't the least interested in the previous map, he also wanted to choose the starting map and work from scratch.

All 3 times the same base map was chosen by 3 different tuners. It's easier to roll your own vs figure out all the changes someone else made to the other tables when someone else tuned the bike last.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM
BlackBastard
Cruiser

Msocko3 so three tuners same build.... did you see any difference on the dyno printout with TQ curve between the three? And they probably didn’t print off the air/fuel ratio. I don’t understand how one tune can be that far off that another tuner can’t tweak it.

I don’t get it, I took my bike back to a tuner two years, he tuned it, bike ran exceptionally well and got good mpg. I did a TB and exhaust change, went to the same tuner and he built a new map using a canned map. IMHO, I would have thought he could just have used the previous map. Now my bike runs well, but I think it can be tweaked to get a little more out of it, at least check all the parameters within TTS.

I’ll have to buy a Windows laptop to check and maybe try to tweak myself.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBastard
Msocko3 so three tuners same build.... did you see any difference on the dyno printout with TQ curve between the three? And they probably didn’t print off the air/fuel ratio. I don’t understand how one tune can be that far off that another tuner can’t tweak it.

I don’t get it, I took my bike back to a tuner two years, he tuned it, bike ran exceptionally well and got good mpg. I did a TB and exhaust change, went to the same tuner and he built a new map using a canned map. IMHO, I would have thought he could just have used the previous map. Now my bike runs well, but I think it can be tweaked to get a little more out of it, at least check all the parameters within TTS.

I’ll have to buy a Windows laptop to check and maybe try to tweak myself.
1st tune sucked bad, timing and ve tables were not right. 2nd tune was a whole lot better, 3rd was to address some areas where I had some pinging. On all 3 tunes I could see the changes in the timing, ve and afr tables. The biggest change was hp & tq from the 1st tune to the 2nd, it picked up almost 10 hp and 6 torque. The 3rd tune it didn't really pick anything up, but it ran better.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

No canned answer because of too many variables, but most times. I would rather just start over because then I know what I am starting with. You see all kinds of interesting things done to the calibrations that are floating around.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I thought Doc was supposed to be one of the top tuners in the country?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM
BlackBastard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I thought Doc was supposed to be one of the top tuners in the country?
He is a very skilled tuner. Just curious as to what other tuners might do in the same scenario regarding previous map, especially if minor changes were done to engine. Not like going from 95” tune to 107” tune.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

I heard the guy mentioned toward the end of Post #7 on the following link is decent.

http://www.roadglide.org/26-engine-r...er-needed.html

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-13-2016 at 06:46 PM.