Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Moto maps, how close are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:50 PM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fuel Moto maps, how close are they?

Bike is a 2015 Street Bob with Two Brothers Comp-V intake, Two Brothers Comp-S 2-1 exhaust, and SE255 cams with a base map from Fuel Moto for my Power Vision. I've heard their base maps are pretty darn close as is, but I ran 4 autotune sessions using autotune basic the other day just to see what they would produce. I was quite surprised at how much my VEs were off. The front cylinder was worse than the rear, but even the rear had a few cells that were more than 20% off. Is it normal for Fuel Moto's maps to be this far off, or is there something else going on here? I attached some screen shots of WinPV software showing the delta in VEs from the base map to the last autotune run for both cylinders.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Moto maps, how close are they?-front-cylinder-ve-delta.jpg   Fuel Moto maps, how close are they?-rear-cylinder-ve-delta.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VE's will always be somewhat off. I wouldn't worry about it if it tunes up in 4 or 5 runs. The plus side is you probably won't need to do much with the timing from Fuel Moto. Don't make this more complicated than it is. It seems like this thread has gone downhill in the last year or so. Allot of guessing and a few people trying to do things with the PV that they will never be able to measure. It was never designed to do much more than VE's, a guess at timing, and a few simple table changes. Don't get caught up in the trap that has evolved here and think you will create the tune of all tunes. It just isn't going to happen, but you can get close and end up with a nice running bike. I have yet to have a trouble tune from FM. And, yes I have had areas that changed 20%. But that was the first run. After 4 or 5 I was within 3%.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by dlporter
Bike is a 2015 Street Bob with Two Brothers Comp-V intake, Two Brothers Comp-S 2-1 exhaust, and SE255 cams with a base map from Fuel Moto for my Power Vision. I've heard their base maps are pretty darn close as is, but I ran 4 autotune sessions using autotune basic the other day just to see what they would produce. I was quite surprised at how much my VEs were off. The front cylinder was worse than the rear, but even the rear had a few cells that were more than 20% off. Is it normal for Fuel Moto's maps to be this far off, or is there something else going on here? I attached some screen shots of WinPV software showing the delta in VEs from the base map to the last autotune run for both cylinders.
There is no blanket statement or guideline on how much a base map will vary since there is literally an endless amount of combinations as well as various differences in production tolerances,etc.. however it really comes down to the how close the specific base map is to the exact combination you are working with and having the ability to fine tune it. In your example i can tell you that the base map we supplied was for the SE255 cams in a 103" Dyna but for a slighly different exhaust, VE delta's of 20% are not really out of the ordinary, and from what i can see it appears you have Pretty solid correction data from Auto Tune Basic. This is going be normal, for reference you may see 15% or more tuning a completely stock bike with the even the oem calibration just as it rolled out of the Motor Company. Also remember you also have normal closed loop for live fuel correction, Auto Tune Basic is simply taking selective data to populate corrections and applying them back to the base tune.

Having a good map as the foundation to start with is important, however having the tools and resources is paramount, as is a willingness to learn. This includes the correct tuning product & hardware for the job as well as the availability of technical support should it come necessary.

I would be more than happy to review your PV calibration and any logs you have, there should be no trouble getting your combination tuned in. If you need any assistance all channels are open and we are here to help.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 03-29-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

My map from them was good enough to get the bike going and give me really good gas mileage. I probably could get it tweaked a bit but the bike runs good.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:33 PM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
There is no blanket statement or guideline on how much a base map will vary since there is literally an endless amount of combinations as well as various differences in production tolerances,etc.. however it really comes down to the how close the specific base map is to the exact combination you are working with and having the ability to fine tune it. In your example i can tell you that the base map we supplied was for the SE255 cams in a 103" Dyna but for a slighly different exhaust, VE delta's of 20% are not really out of the ordinary, and from what i can see it appears you have Pretty solid correction data from Auto Tune Basic. This is going be normal, for reference you may see 15% or more tuning a completely stock bike with the even the oem calibration just as it rolled out of the Motor Company. Also remember you also have normal closed loop for live fuel correction, Auto Tune Basic is simply taking selective data to populate corrections and applying them back to the base tune.

Having a good map as the foundation to start with is important, however having the tools and resources is paramount, as is a willingness to learn. This includes the correct tuning product & hardware for the job as well as the availability of technical support should it come necessary.

I would be more than happy to review your PV calibration and any logs you have, there should be no trouble getting your combination tuned in. If you need any assistance all channels are open and we are here to help.
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the support you guys offer on your products. You just don't see that level of customer service too often anymore. To be honest, the bike ran just fine before the auto tune sessions and it runs fine after. If I notice anything odd, I'll definitely run some data log sessions and send them to you for review.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dlporter
dlporter,

I'm fairly new to auto tuning. How did you get those tables showing the VE changes imported into WinPV so that you could see those changes?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

http://dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-faqs.aspx#4d

How can I compare two different tunes?

There is a feature in the WinPV software to compare two different tunes. Once you have a tune open in WinPV, you can select the icon to Load Compare. This will prompt you to select a tune that is already saved on the computer; you cannot select a tune from a Power Vision. Once the compare tune is opened, the software will highlight the fields that are different between the two tunes. You can switch back and forth and see both tunes, or you can see the Delta, which is the difference between the two.

The following users liked this post:
kryingame (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:31 PM
oleboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
http://dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-faqs.aspx#4d

How can I compare two different tunes?

There is a feature in the WinPV software to compare two different tunes. Once you have a tune open in WinPV, you can select the icon to Load Compare. This will prompt you to select a tune that is already saved on the computer; you cannot select a tune from a Power Vision. Once the compare tune is opened, the software will highlight the fields that are different between the two tunes. You can switch back and forth and see both tunes, or you can see the Delta, which is the difference between the two.
Thank you very much for your help. That worked perfect!

I'm sorry that I got shitty with you on several prior PV posts. I apologize. I was frustrated. I was wrong and shouldn't have posted such.

I appreciate you responding and helping me out.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
oleboy
Road Master

deleted

Last edited by oleboy; 03-30-2016 at 12:21 AM.