Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Little help: Bad Dyno Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Little help: Bad Dyno Experience

So today I went to a reputable Dyno Tuner who going into the day claimed to have knowledge about the Power Vision but turned out to be the total opposite. I am hoping that those more knowledgable on the forums can help.

Long and short of my 4 hour ordeal was that the tech had no knowledge about the PV at all. When I finally pulled the plug on him I found that he was basically taking the PV map Jamie sent with my newly purchased PV and hitting the AutoTune on each Dyno run. I am attaching the dyno sheet and you'll see that the curves are far from ideal. I am hoping that someone can help me tame this beast of a motor but first let me give a little background.

I purchased the motor from someone that had the motor built and the motor dynoed by a shop in Dallas. The motor ran a 121HP/132TQ and the only difference between my build and his was he was running a 2-1 exhaust vs myself who is running a 2-1-2 setup. The motor components are in my sig below.

Anyone out the shed some light or help point me in a better direction?

Last edited by NascarGuy; 03-26-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool You didn't pay for that ...right ???

Hope you didn't pay for that "dyno tune" ...cause he didn't "tune" anything...that may be what the first pass would look like ...but then he should be making AFR changes at the first dip along w/ some ignition changes also to keep it pulling ...and not flatten out ..
but most "tuners" only adjust the AFR's and never adjust the ignition ...seen it many times ...then tell you something like "it's the pipe "...or the head flow not right ...too much air trapped in the heads ...some lame excuse for not wanting to take the time to do it right ...or they just don't know how ...!!!
you should at least only have paid haft the price !!!
as far as the chart shows....you are rich where the first dip shows up ...then as it start to pull again ...it goes lean and flattens out again ....then starts to pull again ...but starts getting to rich at the end ...remember ...this is only at WOT. may be better or worst at smaller part throttle openings !!
another bike would pull out on you three or four bike lengths ...and you would have to wait for the power to come on ...and hope you can catch them on the big end ...
Find another "tuner" !!!!
just may 2 cents ....

Last edited by springers4ever; 03-26-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

You could probably do a better job yourself using autotune and adjusting fuel and spark in those areas where the curve dips.

I wonder if he was shifting gears in those areas

Old 03-27-2016, 11:53 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter

Is there a software for the PV similar to the PCV where you can modify table data on the fly rather than having to save and reload maps after each change?

Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
You could probably do a better job yourself using autotune and adjusting fuel and spark in those areas where the curve dips.

I wonder if he was shifting gears in those areas
He shouldn't have been shifting gears, they don't shift gears during a run.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

can you tell us who you took it to so others can avoid him.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 14cvoultra
can you tell us who you took it to so others can avoid him.
Page 2 looks like he might be from the Charlotte area just from reading, i'm no tuner and i wouldn't claim to be just to get business not good.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:51 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where did you purchase the PV from?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:21 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter

PV was purchased from Jamie at FuelMoto. I've been working with him and decided to add a Target Tune rather than donate any money to the original terrible Dynojet tech. He provided a TT base map from one of his 117 builds then tweaked it a touch. We're counting on the target tune to finish polishing the map. It's really frustrating the Dynojet has this show listed on their site as a certified center but in researching their certificate was from 2008. It seems they haven't been keeping current on all the Dynojet products thru the years.