Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Lack of Powervision capability

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Lack of Powervision capability

I got my Dynojet Powervision tuner today, and I was planning to get acquainted with how it works by hooking it up to my laptop computer and playing around with the different gauges that can be programmed into it. I hooked it up with the usb cable, but I get nothing on my computer or on the device. The only thing I get is a message of: "PC link Mode Active" on the device. But I can't get past that. Wasn't this thing designed so you could work on it without hooking it up to the bike, either with the device alone, or with a laptop? The only thing I was able to do was update the drivers and and do the WINPV software installation. I am disappointed in this lack of capability in not being able to see the same images from the device on the laptop screen. since I am not planning to change the maps, this proves less valuable to me.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to install the software

Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 PM
coyotedata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to exit PC Link Mode from inside WinPV. Then you can setup what you want without being connected to the bike,

Attached Thumbnails Lack of Powervision capability-snapshot.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

coyotedata, if I follow your suggestion and hit the "Exit PC Link," it will accomplish exactly the opposite of what I am trying to do. It will stop communications between the Power Vision and my PC. I am trying to establish communications between the device and my PC so that I can sit at my desk and not have to be right next to my bike with the device connected.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

coyotedata, ok. I went ahead and did that, and did get all the icons to appear on the Powervision device, as if it was hooked up to the bike, but of course, I do not have the same thing on my PC. Is this the way this thing was devised. Seems to me that Powervision fell flat on their faces in not having this capability, or did they? Thx

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 PM
coyotedata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
coyotedata, ok. I went ahead and did that, and did get all the icons to appear on the Powervision device, as if it was hooked up to the bike, but of course, I do not have the same thing on my PC. Is this the way this thing was devised. Seems to me that Powervision fell flat on their faces in not having this capability, or did they? Thx
Yes, I don't know of anyway to config the PV except from the PV screen. It would be nice to just download the config but once you get things setup on your PV, you really don't need to change much. Not sure what you are trying to configure but for me, the biggest thing is usually the channels for the logs. Keep in mind, most any of the tune related settings can be done from the PV or using the Map you load,

Last edited by coyotedata; 03-25-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're trying to modify a tune for your bike it's pretty easy.

Click on get tune then it will give you a list of the custom tunes you have. You select one and it will load it into the spftware. You can then see all the settings on the right side and change them at your will. Once done you can then "send tune" back to the PV to load onto your ride

If you are trying to set up guages and such, then the only way is on the device itself.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:30 AM
cgmartine
Road Master

I just thought it would be easier to navigate the different menus of the Powervision on a 17 inch screen versus that tiny screen, all in the comfort of my home office. Just wanted to practice and get to know everything beforehand, and it was not my intention to edit any maps. Although I did bring up the six pre-loaded maps, WINPV does not tell me exactly which one was flashed by my mechanic. In order for me to find out what map was flashed to the ecm, I have to hook up to the bike and bring up one of three types of tunes, pre-configured, custom or load copy.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 AM
cgmartine
Road Master

Final thought: I think it would be nice if Powervision simply put an asterisk next to the map that was last flashed to the ecm.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:08 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Unhappy No added performance from tuner

Hello everyone. I have been posting numerous questions on this forum regarding tuners for my 2006 Heritage Classic, and now, I finally got my Powervision tuner. To be honest, I am more than disappointed. Unlike what others have experienced, I really did not feel any difference in performance whatsover. The reason I got the tuner was because my bike was running lean and hot. Why a tuner? That is what was recommended to me. Prior to getting the tuner I had my bike thorougly inspected, and there are no mechanical problems. It is completely stock and always seemed to run fairly good. For me, it was a waste of several hundred dollars. Was it unreasonable of me to expect at least just a little tiny bit of performance improvement? The bike is running at 220 degrees.

Quick Reply: Lack of Powervision capability