Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Taking advantage of me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM
HD4T8
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking advantage of me?

As a female it seems that a lot tradesman try to take advantage, assuming that you know nothing. Opinions please if this was the case. Just bought a 2016 Slim S from my local dealer. I installed V&H Propipe and for now decided to leave the air intake as stock since they say it is "high flow". Knew that they already send them out lean so I knew it would need a tune. Stupid me thought I could use the FP3 I put on my 2014 48. Before buying another tuner, I called the dealer to see what it would cost to have it tuned. Service guy said that I would have to purchase the SE tuner and then the would have to put it on the dyno. I questioned him about that and he said it must be done because I put a full exhaust on it and not slip ons. Quoted me a price of over $1000! I promptly called fuelmoto and have a tuner on the way. So...trying to screw me over or not?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 AM
jojo1dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

between parts and labor, depending on how long it takes to do the dyno. that is fair. if the guy running the dyno is good at his job. it would be the top option.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,519 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Depends on which Screamin Eagle tuner too, Street tuner is $250 and the Pro tuner $460 and I'm not sure if you need the $50 cable. Dyno prices vary.

Did you get another FP3?
Bill

Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

^^ But... You would still have an EPA LEAN Dyno Tune. The FP3 and Fuel Moto will get your bike running very good and save you some cash for more upgrades. If you still want a dyno go to a good Indipendant shop.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:49 AM
HD4T8
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vernal
Depends on which Screamin Eagle tuner too, Street tuner is $250 and the Pro tuner $460 and I'm not sure if you need the $50 cable. Dyno prices vary.

Did you get another FP3?
Bill
Bill, after talking to them at Fuel Moto, I decided to go with the Dynojet Power Vision. It was more expensive than the FP3, but I liked the fact that I could get excellent tech support for that unit with Fuel Moto and if ever I wanted to use it on another bike it is possible with a licensing agreement. I was annoyed at not having that option with the FP3.

Last edited by HD4T8; 03-01-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Delete a word
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM
KingBowser
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The FM guys are the best. You made a good choice going with them instead of your dealer. The pricing that the dealer gave was fair if the Dyno guy knows what he was doing + the cost of the tuner. However the Power Vision is way better than the SERT in almost every way.

Add to that the fact the FM has unlimited support and they are active on this forum. You're the winningest right now. Pat yourself on the back.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,014 Likes on 762 Posts

In a way you can't really blame the dealer. They only offered what they know how to do. And you don't know how good they are on the dyno. It's a skill not everyone has even though they have the equipment.
Besides, they can't tune anything that goes outside of EPA guidelines. You did the right thing going with the PV. Let us know how it works out.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,519 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by HD4T8
Bill, after talking to them at Fuel Moto, I decided to go with the Dynojet Power Vision. It was more expensive than the FP3, but I liked the fact that I could get excellent tech support for that unit with Fuel Moto and if ever I wanted to use it on another bike it is possible with a licensing agreement. I was annoyed at not having that option with the FP3.
Great choice! As you can see in my signature, Kim and I both have PV on our limited's. We did a few auto tunes and they run better than any bike we've had.
Plenty of videos on DynoJet site to help you learn about the PV and they are simple to use.
Good Luck and enjoy the new ride.
Bill

Old 03-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Did he at least buy you dinner?

Yes, your dealer is trying screw you over.
Nothing new here!
Ask around, find a reputable independent shop.
Good luck,
GSF

Old 03-20-2016, 01:03 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

HD478, can you tell me if you can have both the FP3 and the PowerVision on the same bike, or if it is one or the other?

Quick Reply: Taking advantage of me?