Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Default New Ignition

Seeking opinions on new ignition for a 1986 wide glide, kicker friendly, rebuilt evo with ev27 cam.

Last edited by glidein wide; 01-17-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,421 Likes on 3,622 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Seeking opinions on new ignition for a 1986 wide glide, kicker friendly, rebuilt evo with ev27 cam.
It's pretty obvious that Dyna Ignitions are the go to for many Harley's. Here is a thread on which ignition to use and how to get it programmed for a kick start bike. I do also use the D2ki system and love it. Here's a copy of the latest curve I will be installing for my latest build. I use 4 dead revs because of the higher compression.... You would use 0 for a kicker....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-ignition.html

Attached Thumbnails New Ignition-new-ignition-curve.jpg  

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 01-17-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
It's pretty obvious that Dyna Ignitions are the go to for many Harley's. Here is a thread on which ignition to use and how to get it programmed for a kick start bike. I do also use the D2ki system and love it. Here's a copy of the latest curve I will be installing for my latest build. I use 4 dead revs because of the higher compression.... You would use 0 for a kicker....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-ignition.html
Thanks bro......too funny, I forgot about that thread, I even have a post in it, LOL.
My Indy suggested I get the dyna S with the Mechanical advance, good price, runs it in his shovel, kicks easy.

Last edited by glidein wide; 01-19-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:05 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks bro......too funny, I forgot about that thread, I even have a post in it, LOL.
My Indy suggested I get the dyna S with the Mechanical advance, good price, runs it in his shovel, kicks easy.
Yea the S is the most common one with the centrifugal advance still in use. Are you gonna upgrade the coil as well. The dyna ignitions are pretty touchy in respect to the proper coil..... Anytime man. Good Luck...

Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Yea the S is the most common one with the centrifugal advance still in use. Are you gonna upgrade the coil as well. The dyna ignitions are pretty touchy in respect to the proper coil..... Anytime man. Good Luck...
Yeah, new coil too, but I'm not changing any of this until I know my motor will start and come to life again, then I will swap these items... because I already know mine work.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Have you ever replaced the springs in your centrifugal advance? My Brother in-law had a 72 sporty 883 that had a broken spring and kick starting was a real bitch because the timing was always advanced... Just food for thought...

Old 01-20-2016, 05:05 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Have you ever replaced the springs in your centrifugal advance? My Brother in-law had a 72 sporty 883 that had a broken spring and kick starting was a real bitch because the timing was always advanced... Just food for thought...
I don't have that, stock 85 ignition, voes... there is a pic in my rebuild thread.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:11 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Does a dyna S (centrifugal advance) run with a voes also ? Because that doesn't make sense to have two separate units altering timing.

But if you think of a small block Chevy, they ran that and vacuum advance... Hhuuummmmm

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Does a dyna S (centrifugal advance) run with a voes also ? Because that doesn't make sense to have two separate units altering timing.

But if you think of a small block Chevy, they ran that and vacuum advance... Hhuuummmmm
Anybody ????

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes you can run the voes with the Dyna S ignition and yes it is like the Chevy vacuum advance with centrifugal advance.
the voes is for lite tip in acceleration and epa mileage standards.. centrifugal is for rpm based total advance.
the Automotive industry also ran the vacuum advance for epa standards (fuel mileage) but that only worked on the lite tip in of the throttle. with lite tip in on the throttle the advance curve was able to stay out at it's full advance because the vacuum actuator was not releasing it. Once the throttle plate opened to the point where vacuum would drop, the actuator on the distributor would allow the timing to retard and as rpm's would increase, the centrifugal as well as the vacuum advance would advance the timing together. two functions here.... vacuum definitely regulated centrifugal which was all based on throttle plate opening...
So the voes was incorporated to be used as an epa device on lite acceleration tip in, until the throttle plate opened enough to close the switch and retard the timing to allow for power without detonation due to full advance.

Does that make sense? I hope so... Let me know if it didn't, and do you see the correlation? And Like I said from the beginning... I DON'T LIKE THE VOES OR VACUUM ADVANCE.......

Quick Reply: New Ignition