Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'76 FX 1200 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 04:22 PM
HDRider76
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 FX 1200 questions...

I'm trying to get some info for someone else, so be easy on me if I make some mistakes on some terminology...

We got some starting issues on a '76 FX 1200... this thing take forever to kickstart.

Doing some searching, most common answer seems to be the coil, but we'd hate to start dumping cash into parts just on a trial and error basis. And we need to save money by doing it ourselves, so we are avoiding using a mechanic at this time.

Symptoms, once started, it kind of bogs down under acceleration, and we are getting some blackened plugs. (Completely different problem? We are not sure)

Questions:

Best place and prices for new coils?

If not the coil, what else could be causing tough starting?

Looking into converting to electric start, is there a kit? Information on installing starter? Brand, price and websites offering? This bike already has a start switch location on handle bars.

One other question, this may be silly, but what is the purpose of the spring on the top of the right side between the swingarm and brake caliper? It's just been bugging us trying to figure what it is for.....

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: '76 Electra Glide 1200 questions...

sounds like to me its running rich, also when its sitting are you shutting the fuel off? if not do so sometimes gas ma leak past the needle and seat, causing it to be flooded. and if its flooded, you can kick your *** off tryin to get that gem started. good luck

Old 09-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

The spring puts tension on the brake to keep it from rattling. This was a common problem back then. What kinda carb are you running. Sounds like you are running rich. Make sure you got the right plugs in it also. If the plugs are too cold you'll never get it started with a kicker.

I thought this was an FLH. Those came stock with electric starter. The kicker was an add on someone would have put on.

I had a 76 FLH for years. I put on the kick start with and S&S carb. Was a bitch to start.

Terry

Old 09-26-2005, 02:41 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

OK, what the hell is this. I just got a spam about a "Fix Your HOG Add" after posting to this guy.

First off. The word "Electra Glide" means electric start.

I think I've been had.

Terry

Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
HDRider76
2nd Gear

So, you are saying this bike should have came with electric start? There is no starter on it, just kick start.

It's my father-in-law's bike, I could have sworn he called it an FX. I don't know what that means and how it compares to the FLH. I beleive it says Electra Glide on the front fender, as well as on the saddlebag, (hard bags).

ORIGINAL: terryt1955

OK, what the hell is this. I just got a spam about a "Fix Your HOG Add" after posting to this guy.

First off. The word "Electra Glide" means electric start.

I think I've been had.

Terry

Old 09-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I don't know what to tell you. I had a 76 "electra glide". The "electra glide" stood for "electric start". It sounds like someone took an FX (non electric start) and put electra glide fenders on it.

The electra glide did not even come with a kick starter. Later on they made kits and that is when I installed mine.

Terry

I bet if you post your VIN someone will be able to look it up for you and tell you what ya got.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

FX was a kick start only Super Glide. FXE was an electric start Super Glide. FLH was an Electra Glide, and was an electric start only. But it was easy to chunk the electrics and put on a kicker. Since this is a fairly old bike (man, I hate sayin' that!) there could've been many changes to it over the years.

Usually, coils are either good or bad. You can take a simple resistance reading on them and compare your readings to what the service manual calls for. Make sure the plugs are good. Since you've said they were blackened, chunk 'em and install properly gapped new ones. Next I'd check the battery and make sure it is in good condition. A weak battery will play havoc with a kicker-bike. It'll also sometimes cause a weak spark, and that can show up as gas fouled plugs. Make sure the points are set up properly - points gap, and at least static timing - and the condenser is good. Also, if the bike has its original hydraulic lifters, check their adjustment. If they've been replaced with solids, the adjustment is even more critical. Might check the compression, too. If rings &/or valves are shot, it can affect the starting, as well as running.

Carburetor checks should include the float level. If it is high, you'll get flooding and a too rich condition. Might go ahead and spring for a carb rebuild kit. Check the jet sizes and see if they are close, taking into account the type of exhaust. And remember that those of us who rode these things in the way back often drilled jets out instead of buying new larger ones.

There is a technique for good results with a kicker-bike. Each bike is a little different, but here is the technique that worked best for me on several different kickers. Gas off, ignition off. Kick through 2 or 3 times to clear engine. Put choke on, turn gas on, goose throttle fully twice. Turn ignition on, slowly move throttle to 1/4 position and hold. Kick smartly through, maintaining throttle position. When bike starts, close choke to position that keeps bike running.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 AM
HDRider76
2nd Gear
Default RE: '76 FX 1200 questions...

OK, I had to do some editing, it's a 76 FX with an Electra Glide front fender and saddlebags... sorry, that threw off everything.

Sooo, Good price for a high performance coil? What brand? Links?

Electric start conversion kits? Price? Links?

Still seems like it's running rich, we may need someone to rebuild the carb. I'm sure it's the stock carb, anyone know what the stock carb on a 76 FX is?

Old 09-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: '76 FX 1200 questions...

The stock carb on a 76 was the Kein (I believe that is spelled correctly). They were junk. Everyone either put on a Bendix or S&S Super.

Poco is right on on kicking technique.

I'm pretty out of touch on a bike that old. Hell, I married my first wife in 76[:@]. Elton John had only been out of the closet for 2 yrs and your bike was about $3,700 new (oops, that was for an Electra Glide).

I loved my 76 FLH. First big bagger after owning a 73 Sporty for a year (my first Harley). I really learned how to work on a bike back then. You had to be a part time mechanic just to own a harley back then.

Terry