Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Joker machine air cleaner,,,, a problem ? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joker machine air cleaner,,,, a problem ? Need advice

Hi All
2012 wide glide, stage 1 screamin eagle with v and h slip ons. Harley have changed the filter for me to a joker machine so that my leg isnt twisted around the eagle filter. Trouble is the bike was running sweetly prior to the change but is now feeling "lumpy" and appears to be lugging. They have put it on their computer system and say that all looks ok. I gave them my Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro box to check it out. Young tech took if for a ride and said it seems ok but I can definitely tell the difference, much more vibration. Any ideas ? thanks in advance, Steve

Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Screaming Eagle air filter and the Joker machine air filter are both less restrictive than stock, but the Joker Machine air filter is most likely less restrictive than the Screaming Eagle air filter. This means you will hear more of the top end noises and that might be giving you some misconceptions. It also could make the engine run leaner than the Screaming Eagle set up. It seems like you might not have a lot of mechanical knowledge because you keep bringing the bike to the dealer to have your upgrades put on. If that's the case then I would say you should trust the technicians opinion. If not, trust your gut.

Joker Machine uses K&N cotton filters that occasionally need to be cleaned and oiled. A common mistake is to over oil the filter. I have seen both experienced mechanics and home mechanics make this mistake. Too much filter oil will make the filter too restrictive for your set up. You may want to clean a re-oil the filter just to be sure.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=99-5000

Old 11-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Enodrano,
I think it has changed the AFR and that's what's causing the problem. You're right, I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge but I'm keen to learn and do as much as I can myself to the bike, I see it as part of the hobby. I was fitting the joker myself until I found that harley had given me the wrong model and it didn't fit ! So I put the old one back on and went back to get the correct AC from them. Because they'd given me the wrong one they fitted the correct one for me to save me going home and doing it myself again. I'm now at the stage where my knowledge runs out and they are going to tune it up. Will post again with results. Thanks.