Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1997 FLHRI

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007 | 08:36 PM
hiliaryt
|
Stage I
Default 1997 FLHRI

If anyone can help: Got a 1997 FLHRI with 10k miles. Has begun to idle at about 1000 - 2000 rpm above normal, can pull in the clutch at 55 mph and idle won't fall. When it is in this condition, it wont rev smoothly and will backfire between shifts. It does not stay in this conditon and will run normally for awhile - at idle and at road speed.Every once in a while though the idle will drop to normal but acceleration is still rough.There are times when it will run perfectly , at idle and acceleration.I figure it is a sensor and I can't get anyone to look at it for 3 weeks.

Anything someone can throw my way would be greatly appreciated !

Old 06-21-2007 | 09:55 AM
dallonj
6th Gear
Default RE: 1997 FLHRI

hi, you need new engine temperature sensor,located middle top fronthead

Old 06-21-2007 | 01:06 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dallonj

hi, you need new engine temperature sensor,located middle top fronthead
I am sorry, but that is extremely bad advice to give to someone. Simply throwing parts at a vehicle without proper troubleshooting can be rather expensive. Do not guess and do not speculate....troubleshoot and pull for codes. I also suggest a manual reguarding your machine.

If you wish not to troubleshoot and start replacing parts until the problem is fixed. Then STOP!!! Take your bike to a dependable professional shop and get it fixed right....it might be a whole lot less in $$! Besides, something could very well just be out of adjustment. Just think about it!

Old 06-21-2007 | 09:42 PM
thebiker46
Advanced

The same thing happened to a friend when riding but his reved @ 4-5k ...we stopped and oiled up the throttle cables to return smoother....it took awhile but after the lube ran down the cable it stopped....just another thing to try....

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:59 AM
dallonj
6th Gear

first unplug engine temp sensor,if no change replace. to adjust efi idle tere is aidle screw onthrottle control.also true idle screw bottom corner of thottlebody and air/fuel mix screws top centerof throttlebody.unseal and adjust accordingly in for rich out for lean.need to remove backing plate to find

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:37 AM
jmetro
Tourer

okay..........everyone stop.

to TROUBLESHOOT this, first look at the IAC ( the little motor that opens the throttle plates during startup) when its running, and starts this issue, is it the IAC opening the throttle plates?? If so, it is the ET sensor, if not, there are a few other things to check.

Intake leaks can cause this, take a can of brake cleaner and spray the intake seals lightly, any change in idle?? yes? change intake seals

you can go through the whole warm/cold idle adjust, but this does not sound like your issue

also is your ecm throwing any codes?? check those out and follow the troubleshooting flowcharts in the manual. your manual is critical in the early EFI harleys.

the throttle cables and butterflies sticking could also be creating problems, so make sure everything is operating smoothly before you start looking for the hard stuff.