Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Detailed Procedure to Adjust Throttle & Idle Cables on EFI Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:09 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Detailed Procedure to Adjust Throttle & Idle Cables on EFI Bike

The service manual is not all that clear on the details for adjustment of the throttle and idle cables for my EFI bike. Seems to me that after I follow the procedure in the manual, there is too much freeplay at the grip, a good half inch worth. And the cables at the throttle body are slack, the idle one at full throttle, and the throttle one at full off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Detailed Procedure to Adjust Throttle & Idle Cables on EFI Bike

ORIGINAL: OneBlackFly

The service manual is not all that clear on the details for adjustment of the throttle and idle cables for my EFI bike. Seems to me that after I follow the procedure in the manual, there is too much freeplay at the grip, a good half inch worth. And the cables at the throttle body are slack, the idle one at full throttle, and the throttle one at full off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I adjusted mine like the manual said and immediately saw it was crap.

Here is how I do mine.

With both cables loose tighten the throttle cable till it just takes the slack out. Watch the throttle body end so that you don't pull it up any.

Now tighten the idle cable till it just takes the slack out.

You can back off a half turn or so on the adjusters if the feel is not right.

I like mine snug. When I move the throttle I don't want any free play. I blip the throttle when I down shift. That takes a quick hand movement.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the procedure. When I follow it, the cam plate on the throttle body hits the stop before the grip hits its stop. Is that acceptable? I left about 1/8 to 1/4" of freeplay at the grip rather than none as you suggested. I did not feel comfortable with no freeplay when I rode the bike this morning. I wanted some movement in the grip.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the procedure. When I follow it, the cam plate on the throttle body hits the stop before the grip hits its stop. Is that acceptable? I left about 1/8 to 1/4" of freeplay at the grip rather than none as you suggested. I did not feel comfortable with no freeplay when I rode the bike this morning. I wanted some movement in the grip.
It's all what you want to feel. When I adjusted by the book mine had about 1/2" movement in both directions, that drove me nuts.

I know short trip.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want to adjust free play with the throttle cable. Adjust the throttle cable per the manual; so the tab on the throttle wheel just hits the stop on the throttle body then another 1/2 to 1 turn. If you don't do the throttle cable like this, you are either going to not get wide open or you're going to stretch the cable when you do go wide open. Nowadjust the idle cable for the amount of free play you want, making sure the throttle returns with a snap when you release it with the front wheel turned full lock both directions. Forget about the idle cable adjustment procedure in the manual dealing with the cable housing just contacting the little spring.

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (02-21-2018)
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

You must adjust the front cable first. Loosen the front adjuster and hold the throttle at WOT. Watch the stop on the front of the throttle body and adjust 'til it just touches the stop. When you pop the throttle open you should hear a faint click.

The rear idle adjuster should be adjusted for slight slack at the idle position. If there is no slack you may have it run above idle, which probably wouldn't hurt anything.

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (02-21-2018)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 AM
2mean2like
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OneBlackFly,
Hear is a link for replacing grips and it tells how to adust cables.
I used this information when I replaced my grips and adjusting my cables.
Hope this helps. Good luck

Starts on line 13
https://www.hdforums.com/m_69241/tm.htm