Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&h fp3 trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015 | 06:39 PM
r.frazier
|
Stage I
Default V&h fp3 trouble!

Hello all. i am asking a question for my buddy. He just bought a 2015 road glide special and has added slip on's and a big air kit to it, he kept his stock pipe and we just gutted the cats from it. He added a FP3 and is having issues with the auto-tune feature. Essentially what is happening is every time he enters into the auto tune feature and then goes to download the auto tunes "findings" the thing freezes up and wont allow ANYTHING to happen. It locks him out and wont work at all. We have been emailing tech support at V&H as well as on the phone with them, and their response is "it's because you are using the stock pipe gutted. You need to buy a V&H head pipe with the new bung placements" He and I both know this is total bullshit as we have a couple of other friends running the EXACT same setup. Has anyone else ran into any issues with this? The FP3 is pretty straight forward in use and setup and he and I aren't stupid by any stretch. It keeps giving us the error code FP-501. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Old 09-14-2015 | 08:56 PM
Second Wind
Tourer

I have the FP3 as well w/V&H Pro Pipe and Screamin Eagle intake. The FP3 has a map for this set up and many other set ups. I dont recall seeing a map for a gutted cats on a stock HD pipe.. That might be your problem...

I have done 2 auto tunes so far but havent Applied Learned Values as of yet.. Im waiting to get more of a complete map for the best tune possible which should be another 100 miles or so..

This is my second run today using the Auto Tune.. Trying to get as many of the blocks green as I can but impossible to get them all.

Attached Thumbnails V&h fp3 trouble!-img_0261.jpg  

Last edited by Second Wind; 09-14-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2015 | 10:21 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

What map did you download to run the auto tune with or did he just go right to auto tune? I think the FP3 needs a map that auto tune can build from. Maybe I'm wrong but you might try downloading one of their maps that seems closest to the set up.

Old 09-15-2015 | 01:13 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd agree with the above poster. If you haven't done it already, download a map similar to what your friend has (slip ons). Try that for a bit then auto tune using the new map as the base, hopefully it doesn't continue with the same challenge. Maybe it's a communication problem?

Old 09-15-2015 | 12:25 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by r.frazier
Hello all. i am asking a question for my buddy. He just bought a 2015 road glide special and has added slip on's and a big air kit to it, he kept his stock pipe and we just gutted the cats from it. He added a FP3 and is having issues with the auto-tune feature. Essentially what is happening is every time he enters into the auto tune feature and then goes to download the auto tunes "findings" the thing freezes up and wont allow ANYTHING to happen. It locks him out and wont work at all. We have been emailing tech support at V&H as well as on the phone with them, and their response is "it's because you are using the stock pipe gutted. You need to buy a V&H head pipe with the new bung placements" He and I both know this is total bullshit as we have a couple of other friends running the EXACT same setup. Has anyone else ran into any issues with this? The FP3 is pretty straight forward in use and setup and he and I aren't stupid by any stretch. It keeps giving us the error code FP-501. Any thoughts on this from anyone?
There are two separate subjects here.

First, the error you are seeing is unrelated to the map being used or any other map. That error has to do with something being corrupted in the map and the FP3 not allowing to flash that map to the bike. This can happen when a connection is bad with the CAN-bus connector, ECM connectors or trying to flash while the bike is running. Either way it can be fixed, you just need to send me your information so we can send the remote command and force you out of AutoTune and start fresh. Also, make sure you are running the most up to date firmware and application as well.

The second is that when you decat the original headpipe, this creates an issue with the O2 sensors and creates what is called "crosstalk". This will not allow for proper exhaust sampling and skew the results from the AutoTune. This crosstalk is when the rear O2 samples the front exhaust and vice-versa. Our headpipes incorporate a new technology called "Super-Bung". This has a "pringle-chip" design we incorporate into our headpipes that immerse the O2 sensor into the exhaust stream. This ensures the best sampling possible for the best ride-ability. What is primarily effecting your setup is the proximity the sensors have with each other.You can verify this by flashing the basemap into the bike, and then before you start the bike, unplug the O2 sensors under the right hand sidecover and this will force the bike into open loop and not rely on the sensors. You will notice a big improvement, but the economy will go down and a check engine among other things.