Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner vs Warranty...Strange Running Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tuner vs Warranty...Strange Running Yesterday

So, two part question. Riding home yesterday (last 10 minutes of ride) after a normal day of riding and commuting, the bike started acting strange. Started getting some popping on decel and idle would drop super low when throttle was chopped. Even stalled once. Running, drive ability, and throttle response were all normal and great. Just the strange closed throttle occurrences. Did it several times riding home. Had to throttle it to keep it idling.

Rode today and everything was completely normal. I didn't do a thing. Any ideas??? Just a fluke occurrence?

But this made me think...how do you guys with tunes handle the dealer and warranty situation? What if you had to take it in for something? Just looking for generic stuff there. Thanks guys.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

Would be good to have year and model of the bike. mods, etc.
From your post it would seem that if you're concerned with warranty you must have it under warranty. I would bring it to the dealer, could be mechanical or electrical but let figure it out.
Installing a tuner won't void warranty unless the tuner can be directly blamed for a problem. And how a shop handles warranties with aftermarket gear can vary greatly from dealer to dealer, so ask them. They will want to sell you their stuff and probably a dyno tune.
When a bike acts up intermittently the first thing to look for is the condition of the battery connections, as well as the ground connection.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:26 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a '15 Slim with a TTS and custom map on the dyno. One fluke occurrence that has not reappeared in two days of riding is not a reason for me to take it anywhere. My second question about the warranty stuff was meant to be generic in nature...to see what guys do if they have to deal with drive ability issues on a bike still under warranty.

If my stalling issue returns, I'll go to my dyno guy first since he's local.

I was mainly interested if guys reload stock mapping if going to the dealer, or just take it as is. The ECU is locked out by the TTS so just know new curious how they'd react to that?

Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This is going to sound weird, but are you putting fuel in that is 91+ (premium) My friend's bike had the same issue your describing because he was putting cheap fuel in saying "it doesn't matter". Just a thought....

Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you reload the "stock MTE" file from your laptop , the one you saved when you first did the TTS re-flash , the genyoowine HD dealer won't be able to tell **** mate...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Montamayor
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner vs Warranty...Strange Running Yesterday

Exactly same condition happened to me randomly after I installed the Patriot fuel Top Management. It appears to be a way to rich mix at Idle condition. It first generates "pops in deceleration, an idle that goes way to low, and stall. Each time this was corrected doing a "reset ... Kill switch, and restart and it goes normal immediately . I don't know the root cause. i would like to know. If somebody knows please tell.
Ronald