Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SPARK PLUG CONDITION

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPARK PLUG CONDITION

The more I read the more it seems there is a degree of contradicition with reading plugs and the overall condition of what a plug should look like. I believe my bike is running a tad lean. I have a '05 FXST Softail with stage I. I keep checking my plugs and they are a very slight tan if any on insulator but total clean on the strap. A black ring on thread. I look at the pics on another thread of all the different plug conditions but also realize that the newer fuels burn a bit different then the old days.Well I decided to pull a plug from my wife's Sporty 883 '07 injection. She has 1000 miles on the bike and her plugs are spotless ! I know the new bikes run lean but not a mark. I wonder if its because plugs are still new. Also checked two buddies bikes and both have fresh plugs under a 100 miles and they also look clean. What gives? Isn't this too lean.

Anyway, any chance a bunch of folks could pull a plugand post what they look like and mention any conditions they are having, if any. I think this could be helpful to a bunch of us.I 'm just wondering what the general population of plugs in a bike for a little while loooks like. I realize there is many different driving elements but just looking at the overall plug condition is.

PS have to post mine later, need the wifes help to load pics.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: SPARK PLUG CONDITION

I'm working on mine right now with my PCIII and a canned map. Here is one of my plugs: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...g/DSCF0859.jpg

Opinions on this one would be appreciated too!

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:26 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I pulled my plugs yesterday just to check. They are snow white. I have an 07 SG bone stock with about 2000 miles. I'm getting ready to add a TFI to see if I can richen it up a little.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
mulch63
Road Master

My plugs and my wife's plugs look just like that. I know that the important thing to do is take a fresh set of plugs and do a chop and look either down inside where insulator and metal meets or look at the first thread where strap attaches and take a reading. I just think overall those are just too clean looking. IMHO

Jim

Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
mulch63
Road Master

My wife's fuel injected Sporty boarderlines that look. Man I wonder how hot this bike will run when the temps here in PA are in the 90's ???

Jim

Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

proper burn is a slight tan/grey color. white is lean, drak grey/black is rich. Proper procedure for reading the plug is called Plug Chop. Take the bike for a ride, kill the engine and coast pull over to side and pull the plug to look at the condition.

07's run lean to meet factory EPA requirements. That's why you see white/LT grey plugs. 07's also run hotter than previous model years. The fix for the heat is to richen up the fuel mix.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Plug reading isn't used for setting mixtures since the lead has been removed from the gas. What colors you see there now are from fuel additive packages and not from correct fuel mixture settings. If you see a tan color on the plug, run a few tankfulls of a different brand fuel and they will turn white again. Most all plugs now will show a white insulator which is a normal condition.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Glide.......That's total BS.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

My understanding is that the porcelainshould be white. Looking at the base thread, if it's brown, almost sooty all the way around then the air/fuel mixture is ok. If it's not all the way around then it's lean. If it's really sooty then too rich. Yes there is a 'fuel ring' to look for down inside but without a tool to view then you can't really see it. The insulator shows how hot the plug is.

I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong.....

Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: SPARK PLUG CONDITION