Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

another starter problem"click"click"click"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 AM
puff_89_ultra
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another starter problem"click"click"click"

I have a 1989 FLHTCU Ultra Classic with an intermittent starting problem. After the bike set for about 3 weeks, I tried to start it for a ride.The old battery was low on charge, so when it turned over it was slow. Well my problem started when the engine was on a compression stroke. The old starter got stuck engaged to the point where the battery cables got hot. Well long story short is I have changed the battery, starter/solenoid, starter relay, cleaned all the connections from the battery through the starter system. Cleaned and re-soldered starter switch. The only connections I haven't cleaned is the terminals on the key ignition switch, because i can't get to them.I have also cleaned all the circuit breaker terminals. The new battery voltage is 14 volts at all connections as checked with a VOM. I have also checked the wires for dead shorts and resistances with an ohm meter. The black b*t*h will start if I run a wire from the battery positive to the small terminal on the new solenoid, and sometimes will start like it is supposed to without the jumper wire. I'm at wits end trying to figure this problem out, can anyone here help me.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: another starter problem"click"click"click"

New Cables. I had problems with my 89 EG clicking once and stopping when on the compression stroke (stroker motor). I would have to put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth to get it to start. I put new cables on it and used a double ground off the starter and haven't had a problem since (about 500 miles).