Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My Forks Wouldn't Unlock!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Double Jack
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Forks Wouldn't Unlock!!

New Street Glide, 5 weeks old, 3K on the odometer and my GD forks froze in the locked position. Oh yeah and I'm 4 hours from home on a 3 day ride.

I roll into Kansas City (Liberty) and stop at a hotel, lock the steering and go inside to get a room. I come back out, get on my bike and fire it up. But the steering is still locked to the left! So now I'm confused, I unlocked the ignition, turned it to the "on" position and started it so my steering must be unlocked right? WRONG! So i dick with it for a few hours Sunday night and again Monday morning until a dealership opens. Central HD in Shawnee, KS is the only one in the Metro area that's open on Monday and they are nice enough to send two techs out with a Box Truck with a lift gate and a rolling stand for the 2 1/2 hour round trip.

Since my bike won't roll in any direction but in tight left circles I didn't want to call H.O.G. for a tow and end up getting Bubba with a car carrier, and the nearest Dealer is closed until Tuesday anyway. So Adam and...helper (hell let's call him Fred) from Central HD show up load my bike on the truck. Lo and behold when Adam and Fred get to the shop the front forks just swingin' around left and right. The ride must have knocked something loose. Adam calls and asks if I want him to dig into it and I told him not to if they didnt have a new Ignition on hand. They didn't, so I paid for the tow and headed out to Manhattan, KS. I want to say I'm [leased with Central HD. They could have really stuck it to me. 2 Techs, over an hour each way (at $67 per hr.) and Shop Manager "Bus" only hit me for $100 bucks.

Anybody have any idea what the hell could have happened? I removed the actual key/switch assembly and rod but all looks to be normal. The only thing I (and Central HD of KC, KS.) can figure is a tumbler or retaining clip must have broken in the actual ignition switch itself. Any Ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?