Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Small changes not liking the results

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Small changes not liking the results

First off I have read a lot of things about the Fuelpak both good and bad so here goes. My 06 Heritage I bought in March of this year. Very low miles (5k) and like new. It came with VH long shots and I was informed that is the only upgrade it had. Ran real good. No back fire on deceleration or anything. I keep reading about a stage 1 so I figure what the heck I have the pipes already so I purchase a stage 1 big sucker and install and order a Fuelpak. Well while installing the big sucker I find a screamin eagle air filter had been installed and with the help of a member here(ramberger) he was able to identify a old SE fueler programer. I replaced the SE air filter with the new big sucker and drove and noticed min backfiring but no performance gain at all, I then replaced the fueler programmer with the fuelpak. I set the fuelpak to the settings recommended cranked up and can tell a big difference in the performance of the bike but the backfiring is bad...I reduced mode 23 to 14 per VH recommendations but little to know help. My question is what else can be done with the Fuelpak? Is there another tuner that really is better? I know most will be opinions but I would really like something to just plug in and go..I have no plans to go on the dyno..

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

Did you try just re-using the EFI Fueler? Was there a reason you removed it or was it because someone sold you on the fuel pack?

Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Hey Ed, thanks for the response. Actually I bought the Fuelpak because I was adding the big sucker, I didn't even know the bike had the fueler on it ( you id the fueler from a pic for me). When I got the bike I was told other then the VH long shots it was completely stock, well...I thought what the heck I have the pipe go ahead and bump it up to stage 1. So I bought the big sucker and while installing it discovered it had a SE air cleaner under the football, then while looking at hooking up the Fuelpak I discovered the Fueler that you ID for me. Now I will say this the bike didn't backfire at all before I messed with it..But all I did was add the Big sucker and it started back firing a little bit with the fueler but not nearly as much as now with the fuelpak however. Also with the Fuelpak it has quite a bit more power I believe..What do you think?

Last edited by Ashnic; 07-16-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ashnic
Hey Ed, thanks for the response. Actually I bought the Fuelpak because I was adding the big sucker, I didn't even know the bike had the fueler on it ( you id the fueler from a pic for me). When I got the bike I was told other then the VH long shots it was completely stock, well...I thought what the heck I have the pipe go ahead and bump it up to stage 1. So I bought the big sucker and while installing it discovered it had a SE air cleaner under the football, then while looking at hooking up the Fuelpak I discovered the Fueler that you ID for me. Now I will say this the bike didn't backfire at all before I messed with it..But all I did was add the Big sucker and it started back firing a little bit with the fueler but not nearly as much as now with the fuelpak however. Also with the Fuelpak it has quite a bit more power I believe..What do you think?
I think you'd probably be best off with a tuner such as the Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner and having a proper tune done.

While your mods are not radical, they are enough to really need the fuel adjusted. Also, a slight timing change will most likely help.

Hope this helps, Ed

Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

http://www.adventureharley.com/screa...uner-32109-08c

Ed would this be it? For some reason I didn't think there was a Super tuner available for 06's

Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

http://www.adventureharley.com/screa...uner-32109-08c

Ed would this be it? For some reason I didn't think there was a Super tuner available for 06's
Yes, the pro super tuner replaced the race tuner and retrofits. Just be sure you buy the pro race tuner NOT the street legal version

Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Thanks for the help Ed..leaving for Vacation next week so will wait until we get back..hopefully find a shop here near Dayton, Ohio that can do the Dyno work..

Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the help Ed..leaving for Vacation next week so will wait until we get back..hopefully find a shop here near Dayton, Ohio that can do the Dyno work..
Call Todd Gentner at Century Harley. Tell him I said hello.