Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

bike died again.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike died again.....

WAIT! Before anyone blasts me, I know this has been posted before. I wanted to ask if anyone has changed their circuit breaker if theirs has done this before? This is twice mine has died, nothing but normal electrical stuff running.

I am beginning to think since Harley had the recall upgrade to a 50 amp breaker, there may be something going on and even the 50 amp is marginal. That or the breaker is of inferior quality and over time, can't handle the load. I'm going to change mine out with a good, atermarket one and see if it still does it. I never had this happen with the original breaker, and it's been probably 2 years since the recall and the new one installed. I haven't done any elctrical mods and have checked all the connections, etc. since I had my stator replaced last year.

I may even go up to a 60 amp breaker, hell, I'm brave....I've fully rewired 2 different cars when the harnesses burned up....! [sm=badidea.gif]??

Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Default RE: bike died again.....

You most likely have a bad crimp on one of the wires to the circuit breaker. I believe it's on the silver post. It has too much resistance and gets very hot and trips the breaker. If your dealer is unaware of the issue, have them call the factory Tech line, they will guide them through it.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser

Thanks! I read the post where this was mentioned and although I checked and it looked okay, I'll just re-do it myself so I know it's right! I think this may have beenHarley's answer to the 40 amp breaker tripping issue rather than fixing it right. Regardless, I know from past experience, just because you take it to the dealer doesn't mean it's fixed right. I trust my mechanical abilities far more than I do some of the techs I've seen!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
amfa118
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a friend of mine, make that 2, both have RK's and their bike just shut down on them also. The problem turned out to be the TSSM, which is the "turn signal security module". But it gets better, this module also has hiding in its case, the "bank angle sensor" which shuts the bike down and must be replaced or reset, both of theirs needed to be replaced, check it out in your service manual, also it takes just the removal of the seat to access it.

Later

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

THe TSSM doesn't shut off all the power in the bike (lights etc) it kills the ignition. The symptoms will tell you which path to look at.