Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Idles but won't run under load? Ignition Coil or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Daniel Miller
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Idles but won't run under load? Ignition Coil or Something Else?

I have a 2002 XLH 1200. Its been broken down for two weeks and I've chased the problem all over the place. It will idle and I can rev it with no problems but after i take off it feels like it is running out of gas, but its backfiring before it dies so its running rich. Ive re-built my carb, checked all of my lines, and checked for vacuum leaks (among a long list of troubleshooting). Yesterday I grounded the spark plug on the engine to see how it fires and it only gave a small orange spark. I checked the resistance in the plug wires and the coil, and they all checked out. Im thinking maybe I have enough spark to idle but its misfiring under a load. Is it common for a coil to test like its good, but not work under a load (i know it isnt heat related). My plan is to buy a new coil Thursday or Friday. Is there any way I can be sure the coil is the problem, or is there anything else I should check before buying a new coil?