Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
ackmoe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

I have just purchased a 2004 Road Glide and am experiancing an intermittent starting problem. Most times it starts fine but once in a while when i push the start button all I get is a click in the solenoid. I have changed the battery and had the same problem, then put back the original battery and it started. All the other times I have experianced the problem I do nothing but keep trying it after a few mins it will start. I have brought it to a Harley dealer and they say they can find nothing wrong, after tightening the battery terminals.
A few times when it did not start I checked the terminals at the battery and at the starter and they are tight. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Tim

Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Starting Problems

Starting problems like you describe usually come from bad battery connections, and don't forget there's two ends to those cables that need cleaning. The starter solenoid could be a source as could the starter relay. It's a matter of diagnosing the proper source before changing parts.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
ackmoe
1st Gear

I have removed the starter relay from it's mounted position and held it in my hand and can feel it clicking ( I'm assuming pulling in) while experiancing the starting problem. Do you think this indicates the relay is good? Is it true that the solenoid either works or not and could not be an intermittent problem? When I experiance this problem again I plan on checking the voltage at the starter. if I have 12 volts can I assume all connections up to that point are good and that the issue is solenoid or starter related.
Tim

Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Hick
Stage IV

Starter pinion gear is binding on ring gear.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: ackmoe

I have removed the starter relay from it's mounted position and held it in my hand and can feel it clicking ( I'm assuming pulling in) while experiancing the starting problem. Do you think this indicates the relay is good? Is it true that the solenoid either works or not and could not be an intermittent problem? When I experiance this problem again I plan on checking the voltage at the starter. if I have 12 volts can I assume all connections up to that point are good and that the issue is solenoid or starter related.
Tim
If it's clicking, that means the button circuit for the relay is working, however the contacts in the relay may be burnt from use and the starter circuit could still not be working. A test light across the starter circuit will tell you that. May be just easier to replace it as a light may be lit but not enough current going through to throw the solenoid. Could be the source of your problem.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:40 AM
poobank
Stage I

hey, did you have any luck fixing the problem? a friend of mine has the same problem on the same bike. thought you could help me out if you solved your prob. please fill me in on the answer

Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fixed my starting problem. The starter would engage, start to turn over and then stop. After several attempts it may finally work, sometimes I had to put it in gear, pull in the clutch, wait for the starter to engage and push the bike forward. I tried all the usual stuff with the battery and cables (they were new) and even attached a large car battery directly to the starter with pro jumper cables.

The starter is a new 1.6 kw and my engine is a stock Evo, this should work fine, even better than fine. I have been conversing with the vendor (starter under warranty) but he wanted me to ship the starter to him and he would replace it. I live less than 100 miles from the guy and he would not let me drive it up to him to reduce my down time. He had all kinds of excuses.

Well last night I had the primary apart fixing a leak and pulled the starter too. I decided to open the starter and look at the brushes. The comm looked like it had been prepped with 100 grit sand paper or worse. Sure enough, one of the four brush hoods were bent and causing the brush to hang. I fixed the hood, prepped the brushes and comm with 1000 grit wet and dry, now the starter turns my engine over faster than ever.

Emailed the vendor and told him what I found and did. He says he is sending me $20 for my time and effort and will still honor the warranty. Don't try that with just any vendor.

[sm=yeahsmile.gif]