Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition module or timing sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM
bigben46
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition module or timing sensor

I have a 1993 FXSTC that is loosing fire. When this happen I have no spark at the plugs. It is an intermittent problem. I checked the wiring from the timing sensor to the coil and it appears to be good "continuity wise". The timing sensor is a crane HI 4. which I assume is a good one but too many bells and whistles for me. I've or ordered an oem one. My question is why does the schematic show a timing sensor and an Ignition module? I know what the TS does but what does the module do? Thanks and forgive my ignorance please.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 976 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by bigben46
I have a 1993 FXSTC that is loosing fire. When this happen I have no spark at the plugs. It is an intermittent problem. I checked the wiring from the timing sensor to the coil and it appears to be good "continuity wise". The timing sensor is a crane HI 4. which I assume is a good one but too many bells and whistles for me. I've or ordered an oem one. My question is why does the schematic show a timing sensor and an Ignition module? I know what the TS does but what does the module dog? Thanks and forgive my ignorance please.
The module controls the coil. The sensor tells the module what's happening with the location of the components so the module knows what to do.

Check the timer cup and pick up for any signs the cup is hitting the pickup. That is common and will cause loss of spark. Check your wiring connections. Some of them get pretty poor over time.