Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Another TTS MasterTune2 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:10 AM
sdeck86
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another TTS MasterTune2 thread...

Just moved to Phoenix, AZ for MMI from SLC, UT. I had a dyno and TTS MasterTune done last Fall, and lately I've been experiencing a few issues. Get-up-and-go doesn't seem as good, like my engine is playing catch up with the throttle. I've checked and adjusted the return and throttle cables. I know a decrease in altitude increases O2 density, and an increase in temp decreases O2 density, which seems like sixes to me, but I what do I know?

So if an EFI is a computer controlled fuel delivery system, and the ECU reads various sensors that determine how much fuel to allow to the engine, then I don't understand. It's based on the sensor inputs and the fuel map, correct? I cannot confirm this info, but I've read the various sensors include RPM, engine temp, air temp, throttle position, manifold pressure, crankshaft position.

Since it is also based on the fuel map, aside from the sensor inputs, I have questions about my TTS MasterTune2. First of all, I was sold this product BY my Harley dealer, and today I found out that since it is an aftermarket tuner it has voided my warranty and labeled my bike "aftermarket." There is a Screaming Eagle tuner that is about $200 cheaper than the one sold to me, but I didn't research tuners at all at the time. I've also read nothing but good reviews about the TTS MasterTune I purchased.

For another 45 bones I can purchase cables that would allow me to connect my laptop to my bike's EFI and tuning. I have absolutely no experience with this and I'm calling upon all veterans. Is this a good idea and would this cure my bike's symptoms? Yesterday morning I dropped my bike off at the Harley shop here in North Phoenix. $100 later they found absolutely nothing wrong with it, and that'll be the last time anyone else does something on my bike besides me.

Any advice or harsh criticism is welcome :-)

Last edited by sdeck86; 06-14-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Keep the TTS. It is a very good tuner. Take a thumb drive go to the dealer and get a copy of your tune copied on the drive. Load your computer with the TTS software, do all the updates, and start reading before you make changes. It depends how they tuned your bike, open loop or closed loop etc. Once you read the manual, and then look at your tune you will start to see the correlation. After that you can start to do some data runs on your own to see where you might want to make changes. It's not that hard, just take your time. Also if you need more help, you can post on the TTS blog in this forum, and of course read the the blog itself. There is a ton of info in there.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

A SE Tuner for 200 bucks cheaper isn't a tuner. It it a key which only allows you to upload a factory calibration and also has no ability to tune a bike.

When you have a bike that starts to run rough and has a TTS calibration then you should go to the DataMaster and delete your ALV's (learned values) and check your sensors. Chances are you have a bad 02 sensor.

As for you losing your warranty... Many HD dealerships sell and service the TTS... Sounds like the dealer you chose who flagged your warranty is a Schmuck and needs to be sued. Since you have a '13 bike it, your warranty, is moot.