Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Charging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
HippyJon
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Problem

I’ve got a 1998 Harley Davidson Fatboy. Here’s the deal --I got off work andwas heading to the houseand my battery was dead. I jumped the battery to start bike. The bike started to sputter. Then a puff of white smoke came out from thefront of my bike. It smelled electrical. I got the bike home and charged the battery. Bike started but I didn’t have no headlight or tail light. Used voltage meter while bike was running. Battery showed 0 volts. While bike was running I unplugged regulator at stator plug and bike died. Can anyone help me out?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:35 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Charging Problem

Start by removing/cleaning (both ends of both cables) and reinstalling the battery cables on the battery and try it again to see how it runs.
You should read at least something on the battery with a meter even if the battery has gone bad, your meter may be bad from what you wrote here. When you unplug the regulator and it died, that means you were running off the output from thestatorand not from the battery.
The puff of smoke could be from when the engine stalled and puffed back.
As far as your lights being out, check fuses and breakers with a known good meter.