Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Re-tune after battery work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 PM
digger58
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re-tune after battery work?

Is there and need to retune after pulling the battery? I would think that once it has been flashed it should be good.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:02 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,078 Posts

You're fine.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

There are resistors and capacitors all over your bike's electronics...you're good. Unless you have or experience problems - ride on!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,907 Likes on 11,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
There are resistors and capacitors all over your bike's electronics...you're good. Unless you have or experience problems - ride on!
Actually, the "tune" is written to the ECM non volatile memory. Resistors and capacitors have no more to do with retaining the "tune" than where you put your gas cap.

Really people...do you need to reply on everything, even when you have no Freakn idea what you are talk get about?

Although, in this case the conclusion, of not to worry is correct. The supportive argument is full of dog dung...

Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Actually, the "tune" is written to the ECM non volatile memory. Resistors and capacitors have no more to do with retaining the "tune" than where you put your gas cap.

Really people...do you need to reply on everything, even when you have no Freakn idea what you are talk get about?

Although, in this case the conclusion, of not to worry is correct. The supportive argument is full of dog dung...
Here's an idea...why not reply with something reasonable and intelligent instead of sounding like a disrespectful little brat? And if that's not possible, how about not responding at all???

Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Here's an idea...why not reply with something reasonable and intelligent instead of sounding like a disrespectful little brat? And if that's not possible, how about not responding at all???
I stand by my comment, that if people don't know what they are talking about, they shouldn't reply. How is that disrespectful? Or was I being disrespectful by responding in a technically accurate manner, rather than with bs??? You, my friend are being disrespectful by resorting to name calling. Really??

Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Actually, on cars anyway, assume bikes too, disconnecting the battery may reset your fuel trims (not always a bad thing). Tune itself is not in danger but you might notice a bit of difference for first few hours while the trims relearn.

Bottom line, you're fine.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing that does **** me off, when you disconnect the battery or pull the main fuse, you have to reset the clock in the head unit. Really, there are comercislly available clock chips that maintain battery backup for up to 10 years. Well, if that's the worse that pisses me off for now, I guess I can live with it...but really?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

I stand by my comment, that if people don't know what they are talking about, they shouldn't reply...
I think this certainly applies to you. Pulling the battery DOES affect the tune in that it resets the adaptive fuel values.

...You, my friend are being disrespectful by resorting to name calling. Really??
I think the term brat is appropriate here. By definition, it means ill-mannered, badly behaved, and impolite. I fail to see how suggesting someone has, in your words...no Freakn idea what you are talk get about (you really might want to work on that grammer...) or their information is, again, in your words...full of dog dung.

Friend? Hardly! I consider my circle of friends polite, considerate, helpful, and showing deference and respect.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I stand by my comment, that if people don't know what they are talking about, they shouldn't reply. How is that disrespectful? Or was I being disrespectful by responding in a technically accurate manner, rather than with bs??? You, my friend are being disrespectful by resorting to name calling. Really??
Atta boy! Go ahead and **** off the Moderators and get your big mouth banned. Nobody'll miss you.