Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

backfiring, jerking forward, stalling, speedo jumpimg

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:51 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default backfiring, jerking forward, stalling, speedo jumpimg

o codes showing.
I broke down a dozen times on the way to a bikeshow, the bike kept jerking popping and stalling, and when it stalled it let out a smelly fart finaaly made it to H/D and they could not find problem after 5 hours, they put in a new ECM and took off my powercommander. They said I have 60lbs of fuel pressure.
I'm down to a speed sensor or crank position sensor, can they go bad without flashing a code? I already drained the tank and put fresh gas in it, changed plugs. Battery terminals are tight. It is almost like a interruption of combustion, when it happens the speedometer will go from 60 to 10 then jump back to 60 while jerking forward, popping then stalls. I have not gone inside the tank yet.
Any input would be appreciated.
2006 SB. Vanve and hines big radius, K & N air filter

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stbobber
(snip) They said I have 60lbs of fuel pressure. (snip) It is almost like a interruption of combustion, when it happens the speedometer will go from 60 to 10 then jump back to 60 while jerking forward, popping then stalls. (snip)
Sounds electrical to me.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

My first thought was ignition switch. Mine did something similar, though not quite as severe. Test it in your garage with bike running wiggle the switch and see if it changes how it runs. I tested mine on the road, holding it all the way to the left ran fine!! Hopefully your fix is as simple as that!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

When you said the battery terminals were tight it wasn't clear if you check the ground connections. Easy enough to check, and who knows, hopefully it's something that simple.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by stbobber
o codes showing.
I broke down a dozen times on the way to a bikeshow, the bike kept jerking popping and stalling, and when it stalled it let out a smelly fart finaaly made it to H/D and they could not find problem after 5 hours, they put in a new ECM and took off my powercommander. They said I have 60lbs of fuel pressure.
I'm down to a speed sensor or crank position sensor, can they go bad without flashing a code? I already drained the tank and put fresh gas in it, changed plugs. Battery terminals are tight. It is almost like a interruption of combustion, when it happens the speedometer will go from 60 to 10 then jump back to 60 while jerking forward, popping then stalls. I have not gone inside the tank yet.
Any input would be appreciated.
2006 SB. Vanve and hines big radius, K & N air filter
If the speedo drops to 10mph at speed it isn't fuel related. If the CKP sensor cuts out momentarily things shut down. It is possible to not get a code at times with a CKP. If you think it's somehow related to the Speed sensor, unplug the sensor and ride it. You'll lose turn signal cancellation and your idles may act different but it will prevent you from shotgunning it.