Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 Fatboy won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015 | 02:22 PM
Snowed_in
|
1st Gear
Default 07 Fatboy won't start

The situation is this:

My bike (2007 Fatboy) has been in winter storage in my garage, and kept on a trickle charger. The person watching it for me had been ostensibly starting it every week.
I finally got back home and the bike was completely dead. So I replaced the battery and checked the fuses in the fuse box. Once I installed the new battery in the bike and changed the batteries in the keyfobs, I have accessory power. The problem is,though, that when I turn the power on and push the ignition switch to "Run", I'm not hearing any of the things I normally hear, like the fuel pump priming. It's just silent.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to check now? I don't really want to have to have Harley come get it and take it to the shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snowed_in

Old 04-19-2015 | 08:22 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

You sure you got the fob batteries in right side up?

Old 04-20-2015 | 02:17 AM
Snowed_in
|
1st Gear

Yeah, I double checked and they're good to go.

Any other ideas that I could investigate?

Old 04-20-2015 | 12:55 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

A fuse can look good but the only way to really check it is with a meter or continuity light. You can also look at the fuel pump relay's contacts and make sure they're shiny. Same with the starter relay. Relays are cheap enough to replace.
For next year, get a tender, don't use a trickle charger. And the only thing you'll get out of starting the bike every week is water condensation in your oil.

Old 04-21-2015 | 06:35 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Snowed_in
The situation is this:

My bike (2007 Fatboy) has been in winter storage in my garage, and kept on a trickle charger. The person watching it for me had been ostensibly starting it every week.
I finally got back home and the bike was completely dead. So I replaced the battery and checked the fuses in the fuse box. Once I installed the new battery in the bike and changed the batteries in the keyfobs, I have accessory power. The problem is,though, that when I turn the power on and push the ignition switch to "Run", I'm not hearing any of the things I normally hear, like the fuel pump priming. It's just silent.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to check now? I don't really want to have to have Harley come get it and take it to the shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snowed_in
If you have a Power Commander in that bike, disconnect it and plug the two connectors together, this just connects the ECM to the EFI with the PC out of the loop. A bad PC will cause the symptom you mention. If you have one?

Old 04-21-2015 | 04:08 PM
Snowed_in
|
1st Gear

Nevil,

This might sound like a really stupid question...but could you tell me where those relays are located?

Old 04-21-2015 | 04:18 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Last time I saw one they are under the seat, but I don't remember what year it was. I'm sure someone in the Softail area could tell you for sure. By your question I'm guessing you don't have an owner's manual, so pick one up or look here:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/cont...rs-manual.html