Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Vance and Hines FP-3 experts. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunn01
Ok learning more after this weekend playing around with the auto tune feature.
After you ride for a while in auto tune and want to either apply the auto tune learning to the current map or actually flash the map. It doesn't appear you can flash with the bike running. Use the handle bar on/off switch not the center acc switch to turn the bike off. This will allow you to not lose the data of the current auto tune and flash the ECM.

I was turning the bike completely with the Acc switch and it wasn't clear if I was losing the data from the auto tune when I flashed or not as when I would turn the bike back to acc the auto tune map table no longer had any green or orange blocks. My guess is I lost the auto tune learning I had just gathered and was apply nothing to the current map when I flashed it.

If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it.

Jim
You will not lose the AutoTune data by powering off the bike. The FP3 stores the data in EEPROM. Which means even if you power down the bike, it will still be there and pick up where you left off from the previous session. Just make sure you do not disconnect the FP3 in the middle of an AutoTune session and follow the prompts you will be good to go.

Also, make sure you have the bike with the ignition ON and handlebar run switch while programming, this ensures you have complete power going to the ECM.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
You will not lose the AutoTune data by powering off the bike. The FP3 stores the data in EEPROM. Which means even if you power down the bike, it will still be there and pick up where you left off from the previous session. Just make sure you do not disconnect the FP3 in the middle of an AutoTune session and follow the prompts you will be good to go.

Also, make sure you have the bike with the ignition ON and handlebar run switch while programming, this ensures you have complete power going to the ECM.
VHcneely Thanks for you response. I think what was confusing me the most was after an Autotune and before shutting off the bike i could see the Green and Brown blocks. Once i power off the bike and then brought it back up without starting it the Green and Brown squares were all gone and showed nothing but white. So thus my confusion when i tried to finish the map.
Am i correct that the bike cannot be running while you either "apply" or "flash"?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

VHcneely Thanks for you response. I think what was confusing me the most was after an Autotune and before shutting off the bike i could see the Green and Brown blocks. Once i power off the bike and then brought it back up without starting it the Green and Brown squares were all gone and showed nothing but white. So thus my confusion when i tried to finish the map.
Am i correct that the bike cannot be running while you either "apply" or "flash"?
When I did mine, the populated blocks came back up after shutdown and restart. The only time they didn't come back up was after hitting "apply". You do have to wait until the Bluetooth reconnects itself after restart to be able to view the grid and it doesn't happen quickly either.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

You should NOT do any flashing or apply activity while the bike is running. Only while ignition is on the run position and handlebar run switch to the on position.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
You should NOT do any flashing or apply activity while the bike is running. Only while ignition is on the run position and handlebar run switch to the on position.
Thanks guys, think I have it figured out now

Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yea

Very good info here. Thanks. For informing us of your process.

Hap

Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

You must apply learned offsets to the new map before flashing to your bike.
Bob

Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

You must apply learned offsets to the new map before flashing to your bike.
Bob