Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno tune vs auto tune- pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno tune vs auto tune- pros and cons

Ok so I have a 2012 road king...I'm in the process of putting on vance and hines 2 into 1 pro pipe....a dk customs air breather and I got a power vision....

My question is this...when I bought the power vision , I didn't buy the accessories for the auto tune....it was like an extra 300 bucks and I was trying to skimp....anyway if my bike runs good, no problems....would it be worth it to bring it to somene reputable to dyno tune or just buy the cables and do th earth tune myself....

I don't on ever changing my exhaust or air cleaner or anything and have no plans on cams etc in the future....I figure If I get it dyno'd it'll be a least3 to 500 bucks....the wires for the power vision I think are like300...

Would one be that much better than the other....if I just leave it as is with the canned map, is that so bad?....any advice would be appreciated....ryan

Old 04-08-2015, 05:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Auto tune can only adjust settings according to a pre-programmed set-up, while a dyno tune measures what is going on and the tune can be adjusted by hand to provide a truly optimum tune and performance. IMHO the dyno will give the best results, although that doesn't mean that an auto tune will be poor.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
...if I just leave it as is with the canned map, is that so bad?....any advice would be appreciated....ryan
A canned map is nothing more then a starting point for a proper tune. Some parts of a canned map might actually be worse.

If you're not going to tune the bike, then, IMHO, a tuning program would be a waste of money.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,143 Likes on 3,668 Posts

You can luck up and be spot on with a canned map... Folks like Fuel Moto have done plenty of testing so the maps are pretty close...I tried a auto tune and went back to the Fuel moto canned map and the bike ran better and gets better gas mileage than with the auto tune...I will get it Dyno Tuned the next time I do something to the motor.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Ok so I have a 2012 road king...I'm in the process of putting on vance and hines 2 into 1 pro pipe....a dk customs air breather and I got a power vision....

My question is this...when I bought the power vision , I didn't buy the accessories for the auto tune....it was like an extra 300 bucks and I was trying to skimp....anyway if my bike runs good, no problems....would it be worth it to bring it to somene reputable to dyno tune or just buy the cables and do th earth tune myself....

I don't on ever changing my exhaust or air cleaner or anything and have no plans on cams etc in the future....I figure If I get it dyno'd it'll be a least3 to 500 bucks....the wires for the power vision I think are like300...

Would one be that much better than the other....if I just leave it as is with the canned map, is that so bad?....any advice would be appreciated....ryan
If you're happy with the way the canned tune runs, You're OK. Personally, I'd run a few autotunes to fine tune it. Autotune basic is included with the base PV and generally does a very good job. It does make a difference.

You don't have to understand tuning to run autotune. It's an automated process and anyone can do it by pressing a few buttons. Just follow the instructions and don't be intimidated.

The add on Autotune Pro can add accuracy to the process, but in most cases it's not needed. I use it with my 2005 Deluxe...because it doesn't have O2 sensors. I haven't gotten around to trying it on my 2010 RKC for comparison, but I'm very happy with the way it runs on a FM base map with several autotune sessions. I'm actually considering wiring narrow band O2's into my 2005 as the ECM will support them.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
ryan9977
Tourer

Thanks for the info guys...makes sense...ryan

Old 04-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Mcarso1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would seriously consider the dyno. I put exhaust , air cleaner and TTS mastertune on mine and downloaded the map from TTS and the bike ran fine, I could definately feel the difference but I had it dyno tuned from a reputable shop and it was a huge difference from just the basic map. I did not have time due to work and weather to try some auto tuning before the dyno. I wanted to try some but couldn't so I can't say anything negative about giving it a shot but I can say the dyno tune was awesome.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
ryan9977
Tourer

Just an update my bike will be ready in the next week or so Called my mechanic, he said he works with power visions and a tune would be around 200 bucks Might be a week or two before i can bring it to him but im excited to have everything done

Ryan

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I just finished a stage 1;de-catted header pipe, CFR slip ons, Alley Cat AC and tuning by PV1/Fuel Moto. The bike runs great and the map from FM was spot on with no decel popping, good torque and power. I'm doing a 150 mile ride today and will be doing my first auto tune. While the tune supplied by FM is good I thought auto tuning would be like adding a fine tune to the map. I'll post the results after I see if there is any difference.
Bill

Old 04-18-2015, 11:17 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

IMHO the title should be Dyno tune or Road tune. I know PV uses the term auto tune but unless something happened this morning no tuner exists that you attach and it automatically tunes the bike to perfection. the human factor has to be involved.

If you are willing to put in the time then Road tune, if not then Dyno tune.
If you road tune and are not happy, save the map and get a dyno tune, then compare the two maps to see what changed to make it better.

often said the dyno does not do the tuning, it is the operator using it.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs auto tune- pros and cons