Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What Causes Coughing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Causes Coughing

What causes my bike to cough in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range with throttle probably 2% to 20%?

If I increase my throttle % the coughing stops. Seems to happen when under low load.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What Causes Coughing

It could be a number of things, an intake leak would cause it, improper ignition timing (Though unlikely), PCIII set to lean at that RPM/throttle setting.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, monkyman, I suspect the lean issue might be the cause.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

From your combination and description , my suspicion would be an improperly mapped rear cyl. Rineharts make the rear go nuts and if the tuner didn't map the rear cyl. correctly, it is known to misfire in that rpm range.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Dang, never thought of that, but it sure makes sense. Should I try richening up the rear cylinder in that range?

Old 04-28-2007, 03:27 AM
eplion63
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like what happened to me. i thought it just needed a pcPIII tuning, but had the esp and took it to the dealer and the valve seals were bad, turns out two other 05s had this problem the same time i did, only 4k miles on mine. hope it might help i was pissed and confused for a while!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: eplion63

sounds like what happened to me. i thought it just needed a pcPIII tuning, but had the esp and took it to the dealer and the valve seals were bad, turns out two other 05s had this problem the same time i did, only 4k miles on mine. hope it might help i was pissed and confused for a while!
Hope that's not my problem. That doesn't like a cheap fix.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
FLHTCUSE2
6th Gear

I’m not sure if it’s the same issue or not but I just installed a set of Rinehart True Dual exhaust along with a Power Commander on my 2007 Screamin’ Eagle Ultra and am having a similar problem.

When I crack the throttle I get a slight sputter. It’s enough that when taking off the RPM’s have to be significantly higher than normal or the bike will stall. The guys at the shop have tried just about everything and can’t seem to get the bike to respond properly. We have contacted Power Commander and they said it only happens on certain individual models and have not been able to come up with a fix as of yet.

One of the suggestions they made is to turn the Accelerator Pump Feature off. Another is to install a Race Tuner which, I have been told will void my warranty.

I haven't had a chance to get the bike back to the shop to try any of the suggestions.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FLHTCUSE2

I’m not sure if it’s the same issue or not but I just installed a set of Rinehart True Dual exhaust along with a Power Commander on my 2007 Screamin’ Eagle Ultra and am having a similar problem.

When I crack the throttle I get a slight sputter. It’s enough that when taking off the RPM’s have to be significantly higher than normal or the bike will stall. The guys at the shop have tried just about everything and can’t seem to get the bike to respond properly. We have contacted Power Commander and they said it only happens on certain individual models and have not been able to come up with a fix as of yet.

One of the suggestions they made is to turn the Accelerator Pump Feature off. Another is to install a Race Tuner which, I have been told will void my warranty.

I haven't had a chance to get the bike back to the shop to try any of the suggestions.
Could be a similar problem, but mine only occurs between ~ 2250 and ~2750 at low throttle settings, like when I cruising at 25 - 45 mph. If I have the throttle open more underl load, like when accelerating from a stop, it does okay.

I tried richening up the rear cylinder today and it might have helped, but still there.

Mine doesn't have any problem from a dead stop, and seems to idle well. I didn't need to readjust my idle, but I noticed in either the Rinehart TD or PCIII instructions (can't remember which) they said it may be necessary. Wonder if you have a problem there?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
FLHTCUSE2
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Could be a similar problem, but mine only occurs between ~ 2250 and ~2750 at low throttle settings, like when I cruising at 25 - 45 mph. If I have the throttle open more underl load, like when accelerating from a stop, it does okay.

I tried richening up the rear cylinder today and it might have helped, but still there.

Mine doesn't have any problem from a dead stop, and seems to idle well. I didn't need to readjust my idle, but I noticed in either the Rinehart TD or PCIII instructions (can't remember which) they said it may be necessary. Wonder if you have a problem there?
That's a good point about readjusting the idle. I'll bring that up when I take it back to the shop.

Just wondering: Have you experimented with the Accelerator Pump feature? If so, what were your results?

Quick Reply: What Causes Coughing