Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Where is the discussion on tunING (not tunERS)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
...So my dilemma: I want to try and get rid of some decel popping. I could leave well enough alone, because it does run really well (the popping is an annoyance, but not really affecting the ride). But that means overwriting the ECU and potentially losing a dyno tuned ECU, right?...
Assuming you've accounted for any air leaks, you'll have to do some data runs to figure out where in the map (rpm/kPa) the pops are occurring.

Once you figure that out, you will then be able to approach with a POTENTIAL fix. I say potential because some decel pop in some bike's is very difficult to eliminate without affecting other parts of the map.

So doing the above won't necessarily cause you to loss the dyno'd map that's in there...you'll just be gathering data and hopefully making minor changes to a limited part of the map.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Assuming you've accounted for any air leaks, you'll have to do some data runs to figure out where in the map (rpm/kPa) the pops are occurring.

Once you figure that out, you will then be able to approach with a POTENTIAL fix. I say potential because some decel pop in some bike's is very difficult to eliminate without affecting other parts of the map.

So doing the above won't necessarily cause you to loss the dyno'd map that's in there...you'll just be gathering data and hopefully making minor changes to a limited part of the map.

You have to have the MAP to make the changes then load it to the ECM. Since he has the original style SERT he can't 1: data log because the original SERT didn't have that capability and 2: extract the current MAP from his ECM

Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
You have to have the MAP to make the changes then load it to the ECM. Since he has the original style SERT he can't 1: data log because the original SERT didn't have that capability and 2: extract the current MAP from his ECM
Here's his post #8...
Originally Posted by scooper321
...But I don't know what was actually programmed into the ECU...
Based on that, I wasn't certain if his ECM actually has the SERT or not. Too many people here make assumptions and then things go to crap, they get PO'd, and then the mug slinging begins.

So, I replied as generically as I could. I mentioned no particular tuning program...just the need to have data in order to make some logical plan to address the issue.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:49 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Here's his post #8...

Based on that, I wasn't certain if his ECM actually has the SERT or not. Too many people here make assumptions and then things go to crap, they get PO'd, and then the mug slinging begins.

So, I replied as generically as I could. I mentioned no particular tuning program...just the need to have data in order to make some logical plan to address the issue.
Got it. I wasn't criticizing you or anything. I was just going off of post 4.

"I actually have a 2007 and the original SERT,"

I took post 8 to mean he doesn't know exactly what MAP was put into his bike. Canned or tuned.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey guys, I appreciate the help. And harleytuner, you're right. I do have the SERT but not the map that's in there. Too bad it doesn't just update parts of the map in the ECU, then I could tweak little bits at a time.

And Pine Tree, thanks. You think like I do. One small change at a time. My plan would be (if I had the current map) to just tweak the AFR of lower MAP values and see if anything changed. If I found some unexpected negative effect on performance, I could always reset the values. I'm kinda methodical like that...

So for now, I guess the wisest move is to do nothing and just enjoy the ride! As I said, the bike runs really well right now. But I might look into upgrading my SERT (if possible) or perhaps getting a TTS or something that would allow me to read out the maps. Even if I didn't muck with them right away, it would be interesting to see how my ECU is currently programmed, and then correlate that with how it feels when I ride.