Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

air filter/remap? Pipes already installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

Very interesting read, according to this a remap wouldn't be necessary, simply because the changes across the board are minimal. I could go 2 ways here, try it, if it works and theres no issues keep it, if the bike seems to run like crap after the filter swap and my miles diminish then the stock one will go back in. Thanks PTSDBob,

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
… an excerpt from 'Bob the Oil Guy'
"So what do these results mean? For one, there is very little pressure drop across any air filter, and the difference between the best (K&N) and worst (paper) is very small. Yes as total power output increases, air flow increases, and differential pressure would also increase. So a K&N probably does yield some power on higher output race motors where every last ounce of power must be squeezed out. On lower powered street cars, it is probably not much of an improvement over paper."
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

… the article makes for a good and informative read… and if you do not 'know' Bob the oil Guy, then you should. He is one of the foremost references concerning all things …. well, …. most things..

Old 03-10-2015, 12:53 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Also; here is part of the instructions when using a 'Fuel-Pak' for performance upgrade fueling….
….Fuelpak maps are optimized to run on High-Flow air filters, but will also run on Stock models. NOTE: When using a Stock air filter, your bike may run slightly rich until you upgrade to a High-Flow air filter.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

This too is interesting, so I guess my only option would be to give it a try. If the bike was remapped at the dealer for the pipes, then possibly there's no reason why she shouldn't run good with adding the filter also.
I've been keeping an eye for a good used fuelpak. I do have a few other priorities that I want cleared up though.
Thanks Again.

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
Also; here is part of the instructions when using a 'Fuel-Pak' for performance upgrade fueling….
….Fuelpak maps are optimized to run on High-Flow air filters, but will also run on Stock models. NOTE: When using a Stock air filter, your bike may run slightly rich until you upgrade to a High-Flow air filter.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:35 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was remapped with the equivalent of a Stage 1 download when he changed the exhaust, then no, you do not need to remap if you are installing a high flow air cleaner. Stage 1 = high flow intake, exhaust and remap. You are good to go.