Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

NO SPARK!....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 PM
LINighttrain
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SPARK!....

I have an 02 nighttrain and for some odd reason, she refuses to start.

I can confirm that there is no spark, and it seems to not be getting fuel either. The tank is 1/2 full with recent gas and the filter and pump are working and flowing gas from the petcock.

I also have a brand new coil and plugs, purchased the other day in the effort to get a spark. I installed a brand new battery as well. Completely checked the fuses, even the back of the fuse blocks to see if a pin backed out.

I do have a power commander 3r, however even after disconnecting it and pluging the ECM direct, I still have no change with the spark situation. I have fresh plugs in and am testing for spark with a third plug to maintain compression.

I have read that the BAS (Bank Angle Sensor) could be the culpret here, however I am convinced that this has to be something simple.

When I turn the ignition on and flip the bar switch to "Run", the check engine and alarm lights come on steady, then go out fully, and then come back on together, and then both go out together. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if it means something. When I turn the bike over, it turns over well, eveything seems right. After turning the bike over, the check engine light will remain on steady.

If anyone has experience with this symtom(s), any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 619 Posts
Default RE: NO SPARK!....

do you have an alarm or security issue?
is something loose leading to the coil?
did you measure voltage into the coil?
would this help(provided by other forum member)
how to read error codes

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

--------------------------

DTC FAULT CONDITION MODULE

B0563 Battery Voltage High TSM/TSSM
B1004 Fuel Level Sending Unit Low Instruments
B1005 Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open Instruments
B1006 Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1008 Reset Switch Closed Instruments
B1131 Alarm Output Low TSM/TSSM
B1132 Alarm Output High TSM/TSSM
B1134 Starter Output High TSM/TSSM
B1135 Accelerometer Fault TSM/TSSM
B1151 Sidecar BAS Low TSM/TSSM
B1152 Sidecar BAS High TSM/TSSM
B1153 Sidecar BAS Out of Range TSM/TSSM
P0106 MAP Sensor Rate of Range Error Carb
P0107 Map Sensor Failed Open/Low Carb
P0107 Map Sensor Open/Low EFI
P0108 Map Sensor Failed High Carb
P0108 Map Sensor High EFI
P0112 IAT Sensor Voltage Low EFI
P0113 IAT Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI
P0117 ET Sensor Voltage Low EFI
P0118 ET Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI
P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI
P0123 TP Sensor High EFI
P0261 Front Injector Open/Low EFI
P0262 Front Injector High EFI
P0263 Rear Injector Open/Low EFI
P0264 Rear Injector High EFI
P0373 CKP Sensor Intermittent Carb
P0373 CKP Sensor Intermittent EFI
P0374 CKP Sensor Not Detected Carb
P0374 CKP Sensor Synch Error EFI
P0501 VSS Low Carb
P0501 VSS Low EFI
P0502 VSS High/Open Carb
P0502 VSS High/Open EFI
P0505 Loss of Idle Sped Control EFI
P0562 Battery Voltage Low Carb
P0562 Battery Voltage Low EFI
P0563 Battery Voltage High Carb
P0563 Battery Voltage High EFI
P0602 Calibration Memory Error Carb
P0603 EEPROM Failure Carb
P0603 ECM EEPROM Error EFI
P0604 RAM Failure Carb
P0605 Program Memory Error Carb
P0605 ECM Flash Error EFI

Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM
LINighttrain
5th Gear

Thanks for the post...I followed the steps, however I think that this procedure may be for a different model (possibly touring). I can get to what seems to be a diag mode with the odometer. I get the following;
d01Clr
d02Clr
d03Clr
d04Clr
d05Clr
d06Clr
d07Clr
d08Clr
d09Clr
d10Clr
PPU
These are the different values as I press the odometer reset button. If I press and hold the button, nothing seems to happen. I am not to certain if the 82883 is a DTC or not.

I can arm and disarm the alarm, I have tested the voltage to the coil (there isn't anything on any of the plug pins until I crank the engine, then on one pin I get full battery voltage).

I'm at such a loss here, any additional help is very appreciated.

LINighttrain..

Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His bike is an 02 - pulling codes from the speedo odometer started in 04

Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
LINighttrain
5th Gear

OK!...I bought a Twin Scan 88, This thing is too cool.....Anyhow, I was able to extract all of the Error Codes from the bike, there were 5, however I cleared them and cranked it over again to make it generate new codes. I only have one, and its a good one.

P0374 CKP Sensor Synch Error.

This is leading me to believe that the "Crank Position Sensor" is malfunctioning. I'm not too sure what the troubleshooting guide recomends because I havent gotten to the dealer yet to purchase one. I'm wondering if anyone has a troubleshooting guide for the 02 Softail and if they could post the recomended steps. I likely will end up replacing the sensor, but I'm wondering if there could be a wire harnes or lead that I can trace of check before I spend more cash.

Everyones help has been very appreciated by the way

LINighttrain