Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

confused about tuning options

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default confused about tuning options

Ok so here's the deal...I've been reading a bunch of stuff on here and I think I'm more confused than I was before.....anyway I have a 2012 road king police bike....it is totally stock right now....I'm thinking about.....

Vance and hines super radius or pro pipe 2 into 1

As far as air breather ....maybe a se heavy breather....not tied to one specifically...I know a lot of people recommend the arlen ness heavy breather

As far as tuning...can I bring my bike to someone local and have it tuned on a dyna machine or do I HAVE to buy a tuner?....I mean If I buy a real tuner it's gonna cost me at least 400 bucks right?....I have absolutely no plans to go past a stage one or do any other mods to the engine....what would u guys suggest....I have no experience with tuning in general so unless I can plug something in and be done, I probably won't be able to do it and have to have it run on a dyna anyway

S what do u guys think....ryan

Old 02-02-2015, 09:23 AM
DRJ1911
Cruiser

I have used a FP3 on my last two bikes and am more than happy with them. Very simple to use and they work great.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Either FP3 or Power Vision will work without having bike tuned to get every ounce of power out of it.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Ok so here's the deal...I've been reading a bunch of stuff on here and I think I'm more confused than I was before.....anyway I have a 2012 road king police bike....it is totally stock right now....I'm thinking about.....

Vance and hines super radius or pro pipe 2 into 1

As far as air breather ....maybe a se heavy breather....not tied to one specifically...I know a lot of people recommend the arlen ness heavy breather

As far as tuning...can I bring my bike to someone local and have it tuned on a dyna machine or do I HAVE to buy a tuner?....I mean If I buy a real tuner it's gonna cost me at least 400 bucks right?....I have absolutely no plans to go past a stage one or do any other mods to the engine....what would u guys suggest....I have no experience with tuning in general so unless I can plug something in and be done, I probably won't be able to do it and have to have it run on a dyna anyway

S what do u guys think....ryan

I have heard alot of good things about the V&H. I would recommend a Air Cleaner that doesn't allow all the hot dirty oily air back in. Like one of the Outlaw's such as the 636v, 425 or the 587. They are free flowing Air Cleaners that do NOT allow the hot dirty oily air back in. And even if you like the look of the of the other Air Cleaner's you can still route externally with a hose style set up. Your bike will definatley thank you in the long run

As for tuning, it is many different options you can go with. Devin and Kevin (DK) both have the Power Vision on their bikes, they are extremely satisfied! The good thing about the Power Vision is that it is delivered to you with a custom map for your bike already installed in it. You can plug it in and be riding with the new tune in five minutes! Also, below is a thread on EFI Options that may help you a lot
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

so how hard is it to use the power vision as far as riding with it…..lets say i get one and it comes with a map for my bike…..then i install it on my bars, ride with it and it suggests alterations…is it a one button push kinda deal?….i have no idea how to use stuff like this….is it only for people very knowledgeable about tuning in general….sounds easy but i don't wanna get in over my head…..

the other question i had was, would it be more beneficial to me to not spend 400 or so on a tuner and just put that money towards my local guy who tunes on a dyne…..i guess i risk him not having a clue also….ryan

Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 PM
cspcrx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuelmoto power vision, end of story! I am so glad i got mine and pays for itself quickly. Got mine to make my 96b run better. Then upgraded to 103 and jamie sent a new file. Support can not be beat and i feel you save money in the long run.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

It is easy to use, FuelMoto (if you buy it from them) will give you unlimited support. They will pre-program it for you, you can run the basic autotune with it or upgrade to the auto tune pro.
It will handle anything you can change on your ride. No Dyno is required.

I am using it on my Fat Boy Lo and had it on my Street Bob before it died a horrible death.

There is a lot of info here. Check out this never ending thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-by-admin.html

Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I run an FP3 on my '14 Lo with V&H Super Radius pipes and love it. It's about the least expensive for a decent flash tuner, A dynamometer tune is gonna cost a lot more by the time you're done, easy as pie even for an old fart like me, plug and play, smart phone's all ya need, and good customer support if you need it, which you won't. I was on the fence and confused like you at first back when but because I decided to go with the Super Radius I said wtf and got the FP3 too. Glad I did. Would do it again.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

the other question i had was, would it be more beneficial to me to not spend 400 or so on a tuner and just put that money towards my local guy who tunes on a dyne…..i guess i risk him not having a clue also….ryan
You will still have to purchase a tuner of some sort for the local shop to tune the bike. In a nutshell, a flashed based tuner (like the Vision, SEPST, TTS, etc.) is a device that allows a person to communicate with the ECM on the bike. The other type are add on tuners AKA piggyback, these mount on the bike and make changes and remain on the bike.

If you want to get a good tuner that is simple to use and works good on a stage I at a very affordable price, I would recommend getting the Superchips Vigilante. They are a sponsor here, the Vigilante retails for $199, you hook it up to your bike, power it up and it asks you what exhaust you have, then what air cleaner you have, after you select it it recommends a MAP to install in your bike, choose the MAP and BAM, that's it. Go for a ride. I've had a couple bike comes through my shop with these installed, after running them on the dyno i'd say that they do a pretty nice job and work as advertised.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

so how hard is it to use the power vision as far as riding with it…..lets say i get one and it comes with a map for my bike…..then i install it on my bars, ride with it and it suggests alterations…is it a one button push kinda deal?….i have no idea how to use stuff like this….is it only for people very knowledgeable about tuning in general….sounds easy but i don't wanna get in over my head…..

It is not hard to use the Power Vision at all, it is very easy! Yes, if you decided to accept the change then it would just be one push and you are good to go. Any one can use the Power Vision, you don't have to be knowledgeable about tuning to use.

Below is a vidieo of how the Power Vision works.

Hope this helps you out

Kelsey

Quick Reply: confused about tuning options