Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

confused about tuning options

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
So how does it work with the auto tune. How long do u ride with it before it suggests a different tune. Does it always suggest a change?
You should be able to ride for 30-45 minutes, that should be plenty of time. If your tune is perfect it may not suggest a change.

Below is a video of how the auto tune works.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-05-2015, 01:31 PM
cspcrx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That right there is what a dyno can never do for you, tune your bike on the road in actual conditions and loads. Dynos can simulate but its never what the motor is actually seeing. Having wide bands would help greatly for accuracy and speed of getting the right tune.

I want to play with this, once my 103 breaks in.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cspcrx
That right there is what a dyno can never do for you, tune your bike on the road in actual conditions and loads. Dynos can simulate but its never what the motor is actually seeing. Having wide bands would help greatly for accuracy and speed of getting the right tune...
Actually, the opposite is true. A properly equipped dyno machine can produce loads that could not be had during actual riding conditions without being either illegal or completely dangerous.

In addition, a dyno can simulate conditions in a fraction of the time it would take a rider to produce.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Actually, the opposite is true. A properly equipped dyno machine can produce loads that could not be had during actual riding conditions without being either illegal or completely dangerous.

In addition, a dyno can simulate conditions in a fraction of the time it would take a rider to produce.
I have load control on my dyno. It's worth adding that on a dyno we can monitor engine temps, airfuel and other vitals in real time.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Basically in a nut shell. What you are doing when you do an auto tune, smart tune, vtune......

You are using the LTFT (long tern fuel trims) reported by the ECM and logged by the tuning device. This logged data is used to generate new VE's per the algorithm of the tuning program. That logged data is just what the ECM has already done.

The LTFT can pull in a out of tune cell only so much. I have heard different figures of 18%-20%. 20% is about 20 units in the VE representation of it. That is 1 AFR. We are zeroing out the VE's for the specific build and components when we generate the new and resetting the LTFT when we download a new cal. This is how VE mapping works across the board. It doesn't matter if it's a Harley or virtual VE tables in a E38 GM ECM.

Where a pro tuner can really shine is with validating data. Choosing when to let the bike roll in CL vs OL. Example: Deciding that the CL data at idle isn't valid and picking another way to map that area with other equipment. Mapping VE's with bad data and just OLing the area will not get good results. It is still based on bad data.

To clear up one thing about STFT and LTFT's. The time is not based on how long it takes to get this data. It is based on how long the affect takes place in the ECM.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so to add another wrench to the mix I called my mechanic today, who I trust...he suggests the power commander ....he said if it needed to be dyno'd and fine tuned a little that he could cut me a break on price since I would be buying the tuner from him....his price was 340 for the power commander....which is a little high from what I saw online but with the savings from the dyno it might be worth it.....he's done tons of bikes with the power commander and he recommends them to everyone.....

I'm leaning towards that option right now....do u think a power commander and a dyno run to check everything and make any adjustments is as good of an option.....ryan