Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Should I dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
MRKWMSN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I dyno?

I have a 2014 Ultra Classic with 7K miles. I have a decatted header and have done a Stage 1 with an S&S AF, SE Street Cannons, and a POwer Commander V that Fuel Moto mapped for me. Since I put on the PCV the performance is much improved. However, the bike seems to be running rich since I can smell a hint of fuel and my gas mileage has dropped about 10%. I'd like to make sure the bike is setup right.

Should I take it to the Harley dealer and have it put on a dyno and have them dial it in?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

You gamble with a dyno since you may or may not find someone who is good. Ask 10 guys on here and you will get 11 answers.
I just did a Fuelpac3 yesterday and could not be happier. Im not into racing, fuel mileage, or look at me haul a$$.
When gas get's to 20.00 a gallon then Ill start worrying about fuel mileage on my bike.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

At least you will have it in proof on paper. That will surely be right!?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Start by seeing if you can find a dyno shop to check the tune. See if they will run it and check the airfuel at idle, cruising and make a wide open pass. See if/ how far it is off first. I know I do this for customers, I charge a few bucks for my time, but if they decide to go with a full tune I take it back off.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
You gamble with a dyno since you may or may not find someone who is good. Ask 10 guys on here and you will get 11 answers.
I just did a Fuelpac3 yesterday and could not be happier. Im not into racing, fuel mileage, or look at me haul a$$.
When gas get's to 20.00 a gallon then Ill start worrying about fuel mileage on my bike.

Running rich has other downsides besides the cost of fuel.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Start by seeing if you can find a dyno shop to check the tune. See if they will run it and check the airfuel at idle, cruising and make a wide open pass. See if/ how far it is off first.
If it was my bike that's what I would do. If you do decide to have a full dyno done to really get it tweaked, I wouldn't do it at a dealer.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Gambat
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue on an 04 RK with a PCIII I got from them. Called Fuel-Moto and they talked me through changing the map and all was fine after that. If your not comfortable doing the change they can send you an adjusted map to help with your issue. They provide base map's that are pretty close but cant be perfect for all. The local dyno is another option too.
Gambat

Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Surely it would be just as cust effective to buy the Autotune module rather than spend the dollars on a dyno session

Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Some Harley Dealers can be finicky about tuning a bike that doesn't have a S/E Tuner on it but not all are that way. Try a Indy around your area that has experience with the Power Commander.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
Surely it would be just as cust effective to buy the Autotune module rather than spend the dollars on a dyno session
Not necessarily.

Some "auto tune" units can do better then the most incompetent dyno operators but a reasonably good dyno operator can usually get more from a full-featured system.

Quick Reply: Should I dyno?