Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery post melted

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:20 PM
aggie88
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery post melted

My son tried to start my sportster and said smoke came out from under the seat. When I tried to start it, the instrument panel lights came on but when I hit the starter, I heard a click and then all power was lost to the instrument panel. I saw some other posts that suggested looking for a loose ground or corroded wiring, so I took the seat and battery cover off and found that the positive terminal on the battery was melted so that the connector was barely connected.

Did I simply have a loose battery terminal connection, or was there another short somewhere that was drawing power? When I touch the connector to what is left of the battery post, i see a small spark that (i think) indicates that power is being drawn (a short). Is it normal for there to be a little spark when you attach the positive cable (with ignition key off)?

Secondly, do I have to replace the entire battery or is there some way to re-attach the cable to the post? I think the battery is holding a good charge, but the post is melted. See attached photo.

Thanks!

Joel

Attached Thumbnails Battery post melted-img_0425.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

In the last 40 years as a truck driver, the only melted posts were a result of a loose battery connection or a complete dead short on that battery.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie88
My son tried to start my sportster and said smoke came out from under the seat. When I tried to start it, the instrument panel lights came on but when I hit the starter, I heard a click and then all power was lost to the instrument panel. I saw some other posts that suggested looking for a loose ground or corroded wiring, so I took the seat and battery cover off and found that the positive terminal on the battery was melted so that the connector was barely connected.

Did I simply have a loose battery terminal connection, or was there another short somewhere that was drawing power? When I touch the connector to what is left of the battery post, i see a small spark that (i think) indicates that power is being drawn (a short). Is it normal for there to be a little spark when you attach the positive cable (with ignition key off)?

Secondly, do I have to replace the entire battery or is there some way to re-attach the cable to the post? I think the battery is holding a good charge, but the post is melted. See attached photo.

Thanks!

Joel
Melted posts are usually a result of a bad connection to the post. The bad connection causes lots of heat at the site of the bad connection under heavy current draw (starting)...due to I squared R losses.

You're going to have to replace the battery and possibly the cable. The small spark is not unusual when connecting the battery.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,317 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Ya, as stated above. Also it could be from over draw.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You have no choice but to replace the battery, however before connecting it remove both main battery cables, clean where they bolt to the bike and coat with dialectic grease then reconnect. Charge your new battery before connecting it. While they are said to be 'fully charged' that isn't the case and it will give much better service if charged up fully before first use. The only time I would fit one as bought was if I can take the bike straight out for a long ride, which you may not be able to do just yet, as there may be other problems to be sorted.

Let us know how you get on.