Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

M&M to Delphi

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts
Default M&M to Delphi

Just thinking out loud but say my M&M craps out but i like efi could you switch to Delphi for lets $700 or less

Just a question my M&M has been trouble free for 45k

Dave

Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,
Yes you could.

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Just thinking out loud but say my M&M craps out but i like efi could you switch to Delphi for lets $700 or less

Just a question my M&M has been trouble free for 45k

Dave

Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Much simpler to go carb if all available new parts, after market parts and used parts disappeared.
M & M is a simple system and is used around the world in many applications from expensive high performance cars to trucks.
The most difficult replacement item for an M & M bike is the fuel tank..but they can be located and repainted.
It is reliable but most folks do not want to read the one chapter in the service book or fail to look at the list of known issues. Bikes have been around for a long time so plenty of history is available.
Did you look at the crank position sensor plug yet?
The cam sensor plate for melting?
The little debris (tank liner piece) ?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Much simpler to go carb if all available new parts, after market parts and used parts disappeared.
M & M is a simple system and is used around the world in many applications from expensive high performance cars to trucks.
The most difficult replacement item for an M & M bike is the fuel tank..but they can be located and repainted.
It is reliable but most folks do not want to read the one chapter in the service book or fail to look at the list of known issues. Bikes have been around for a long time so plenty of history is available.
Did you look at the crank position sensor plug yet?
The cam sensor plate for melting?
The little debris (tank liner piece) ?
Plug was filty inside connecter cleaned with contact cleaner and added some dielectric grease , no sign of goo under the the cone where the wires enter and look in tank shows no debris

Thanks , other then the decel popping im very happy with the bike ,will probably add the PC3 usb and leave all else alone

Dave

Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Glad you checked the stuff out and zip locked that crank connector.
Are the exhaust pipes original or are they gutted.
Original has a plug about the size of a USA quarter (24mm) plugging rear exit and similar at inlet side.
Lots of folks ran a rod into pipe to pop exhaust plug on each end (inlet/exit).
Bike runs lean from factory and i found with exhaust plugs popped it was running leaner.
I used a power commander II, the first power commander but it is not USB.
At the time i bought it (many, many years ago) most computers used a 9 pin connector but that connection is now obsolete on computers. For changes to the map it now requires the purchase of a cheap adapter to convert to USB for map changes. My $10 adapter works.
I have owned mine for a long time but if i was starting fresh i would get a USB version.
1997bagger had some good info for you if you go with the power commander.