Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Backfire Galore

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Toytech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire Galore

I just finished installing SuperTrapp slipons on the family ElectraGlide. The bike has the air cleaner and stage one software. The bike used to burbble on decel but now it burbbles and bangs. I did check for air leaks and my install quality. All good. I found a small thread on the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment. So how do I check and perform the adjustment? Can I do this with a DVOM? Where do I find the values?

As an added fly in the ointment...as the bike gets higher in altitude, above 3500 ele. the burbble and bang goes away!

Joe

Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Default RE: Backfire Galore

its running too lean. if you go up in altitude and it gets better its because it runs richer at altitude

Old 09-14-2005, 05:26 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Using a dvom,the TPS signal wire should be the one furthest to the right on the sensor, it probably is grey purple or something like that (CRS), easy to find out one of the others is going to be ECM/chassis ground and the other 5V feed. You measure between the signal wire and chassis ground, preferrably at the battery negative.Voltage specs are as follows. .41 for 01-03 and .52 for 04's in the idle position. The Problem is, is that you must also reset the IAC (intake air control) motor now that you have adjusted it. It can only be reset with a Scanalyzer or DT by the dealer.[:@]

I used a couple of paper clips to insert into the back of the plug to hook the test leads to.

You could also richen up things with the use of a tfi or dfo over the upgraded download to eliminate the popping.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Toytech
Tourer

TC,
Amazing how much stuff you know. You scare me. You might be dangerous if let loose in the wild. I back-probed the connector and got the readings as you outlined. So the TPS is set correctly. I do understand the system went a little leaner with the SuperTrapps But I wanted to eliminate other sources first. You mentioned the TFI and DFO units but I did not read mention of a Power Commander. Is there a point to that? The DFO is a very small and simple devise to increase the % of duty cycle to the injectors by piggy backing the ecu. That would do the job but I would like to hear your take on the PC.
I may use a "back door method" to slightly enrichen the fuel mix. The evap system is a large intentional vacuum leak. I may reduce, not eliminate, the size of the leak by inserting a restrictor at the manifold end. This works great on Ducati's.

Thanks for your input,
Joe

Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Joe

Don't turn me loose in the wild, the animals would be frightened

The reason I don't bring up the PC is that some people do not understand them and find them confusing and could possible damage things with them.

The DFO/TFI will enrichen fuel only by widening the pulse widths of the injectors and can't do the damage the PC is capable of. If your intentions are not to build a fire breathing monster, then the tfi/dfo is easier to work with and does a good job of enriching things in an adjustable manner without the need for a computer to program the PC. There's where the line is drawn IMO.

Glad you found the TPS to be in order, now you just have to work on the mixture