Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans03RKC
Ok so if I ride without the tuner with the heavy breather, true dual, and mufflers. Will it hurt anything if I just ride it easy? Im headed to florida in ten days I dont think I could send it and get it back that fast. Is the factory setting really lean?
Dude! Update the damn firmware on the device and you just might find you have a fully functional PCV with no more error codes. Sorry but I feel like you're not listening. If you want me to help you with it I'll be happy to remote into your computer and do it or show you how to do it so you understand it.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

re read what I wrote I downloaded the program before I ever did anything.
The software and firmware are 2 totally different things

Old 10-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
The software and firmware are 2 totally different things
ok im not sure what that even is then

Old 10-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

ok im not sure what that even is then
I apologize....

Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I apologize....
can I call you?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Updating the software just updates the Power Commander software on your computer. Updating the firmware updates the Power Commander itself. Plug the power commander into your computer then open up the software, under one of the tabs at the top you should see update firmware as an option. I'm going off emory so I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I messed with PCV's. It may be in your start menu - programs - Power Commander - update firmware.

I wouldn't ride it very far without fuel management. I'm very confident that it is in your PC, either it's bad itself or like UltraNutz said it needs updated. Just run it long enough without it hooked up to verify that the check engine light doesn't come back on. The first couple minutes after you start your bike you are running under warmup enrichment anyways so the bike is running a little rich (like having the choke on). So maybe start the bike, immediately after you start it ride a mile or 2, shut the bike off for a few minutes then do the same thing to go back home. Verify the light isn't on. Do all this AFTER you check for and install any firmware updates.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Updating the software just updates the Power Commander software on your computer. Updating the firmware updates the Power Commander itself. Plug the power commander into your computer then open up the software, under one of the tabs at the top you should see update firmware as an option. I'm going off emory so I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I messed with PCV's. It may be in your start menu - programs - Power Commander - update firmware.

I wouldn't ride it very far without fuel management. I'm very confident that it is in your PC, either it's bad itself or like UltraNutz said it needs updated. Just run it long enough without it hooked up to verify that the check engine light doesn't come back on. The first couple minutes after you start your bike you are running under warmup enrichment anyways so the bike is running a little rich (like having the choke on). So maybe start the bike, immediately after you start it ride a mile or 2, shut the bike off for a few minutes then do the same thing to go back home. Verify the light isn't on. Do all this AFTER you check for and install any firmware updates.
Had a remote computer session yesterday morning with Dan; updated his firmware which was 3 versions old, changed the map he was using to a more suitable map for his mods, doesn't appear to be throwing the P0118 code any longer however another code came up, P0113 which is the IAT sensor. Had him clean out the IAT hole (pintle hole I believe is what it's called) in the top of the TB with carb cleaner but haven't heard back from him. Told him if that didn't solve the issue to start looking at the infamous wiring issues at the IAT sensor connector itself.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Had a remote computer session yesterday morning with Dan; updated his firmware which was 3 versions old, changed the map he was using to a more suitable map for his mods, doesn't appear to be throwing the P0118 code any longer however another code came up, P0113 which is the IAT sensor. Had him clean out the IAT hole (pintle hole I believe is what it's called) in the top of the TB with carb cleaner but haven't heard back from him. Told him if that didn't solve the issue to start looking at the infamous wiring issues at the IAT sensor connector itself.

good deal, thanks for the update. hopefully he will report back with his discovery

Old 10-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I have been sick with the Flu....Im going to try to fool with it today.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

UP-DATE!!! I took the P/C off. Hooked the o2 sensors back-up and reset the codes. I went for about a ten mile ride. No check engine light. So then I put the P/C back on with the o2 deletes. Before I even fired up the bike just turning on the power the check engine light comes on. So I checked and this time the code is for the temp sensor. The last time was the sensor in the throttle body. So I took it out for a ride. It runs much better. I cranked it up to about a 100. I pulled in the clutch and shut it off and coasted to a stop. I pulled the plugs and they are a nice brown color. Atleast im sure its not to lean. So it must be doing something. Im headed to Daytona next week so I will see if someone can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!