Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm a little confused. so has the PC been on the bike for a year or so? or did you buy it a year or so ago and just now getting around to installing it?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it last summer. I never put it on the bike because I always have some kind of a glitch when I try to do something like this. It seams to run ok.

Pretty funny but the tech at Power Commander tried to tell me its nothing to do the the Programmer. I said my friend I have put 17,211 miles on this bike from when it was new. I have never ever seen a check engine light till I plugged in your product. He says thats just a fluke....yeah ok

Old 10-04-2014, 06:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dans03RKC
I bought it last summer. I never put it on the bike because I always have some kind of a glitch when I try to do something like this. It seams to run ok.

Pretty funny but the tech at Power Commander tried to tell me its nothing to do the the Programmer. I said my friend I have put 17,211 miles on this bike from when it was new. I have never ever seen a check engine light till I plugged in your product. He says thats just a fluke....yeah ok
With PC plugged in, code is thrown and CEL stays on correct? With PC out, CEL comes on and goes off as it should in a couple of secs? This is regardless if the XIEDS are connected or not?

You mention buying it a while back and just getting around to installing it; have you plugged it into your computer and updated the firmware on the PC?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

Ok with the X-Ieds I never ever had a check engine light. They are removed now.So forget those they are in my tool box.

I bought the PC a year ago but waited to put it on because this is exactly the kind of luck i HAVE!!!**** LUCK!!! I downloaded the tune that a tech from PC told me was the best match for my bike. Heavy Breather,True Duels and D&D mufflers.

If I take the PC off the bike and hook the 02 sensors back-up and I fire up the bike. The light will come on when I start it and then go out. I rode it a few minutes that way the other day and it would come on and go out. I didn't ride it more then a couple miles.

If I put on the PC and I hook up the o2 deletes and I just turn on the ignition the light comes on even if you clear it. As soon as you turn it back on the check engine light is on. If you ride it the light is on constantly. It runs ok and shows no other codes. Code is a ps0118 I believe and that is a temp. sensor. I replaced the sensor and it changed nothing.

Last edited by Dans03RKC; 10-04-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm telling you it's the PC, the light coming on and going back off means the code is historic. When it's on all the time it's current. So with the PC removed and the o2's hooked back up it's historic (meaning the code is no longer present). When you hool the PC back up the light stays on meaning the code is current. I don't care what the guy from PC told you, the tuner is bad. If you want to further trouble shoot, unhook the PC, plug in the o2's and clear the code. Run the bike like that and see if the code comes back on. If not, hook the PC back up. I bet it comes on again.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I kinda thought the same thing from the beginning. I will take it off tomorrow and take it for a ride and see what it does. Im sure its the PC.

So the next thing is I didn't buy it new. I bought it from a guy on here. So will they do anything to fix it?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans03RKC
I kinda thought the same thing from the beginning. I will take it off tomorrow and take it for a ride and see what it does. Im sure its the PC.

So the next thing is I didn't buy it new. I bought it from a guy on here. So will they do anything to fix it?
I'm positive it's the PC from what you are describing. Make sure you clear the codes before you ride it though. You can send it in to DynoJet, they will go through it and repair the one you have for a lot less than the replacement will cost.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I'm telling you it's the PC, the light coming on and going back off means the code is historic. When it's on all the time it's current. So with the PC removed and the o2's hooked back up it's historic (meaning the code is no longer present). When you hool the PC back up the light stays on meaning the code is current. I don't care what the guy from PC told you, the tuner is bad. If you want to further trouble shoot, unhook the PC, plug in the o2's and clear the code. Run the bike like that and see if the code comes back on. If not, hook the PC back up. I bet it comes on again.
I agree with harleytuner 100%. However before you (OP) go off blaming Dynojet or the previous owner, hook it up to your computer and make sure it's got the latest firmware on it. You have no idea, regardless of what the previous owner says, how old the device is and how old the software/firmware on it is.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

Ok so if I ride without the tuner with the heavy breather, true dual, and mufflers. Will it hurt anything if I just ride it easy? Im headed to florida in ten days I dont think I could send it and get it back that fast. Is the factory setting really lean?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I agree with harleytuner 100%. However before you (OP) go off blaming Dynojet or the previous owner, hook it up to your computer and make sure it's got the latest firmware on it. You have no idea, regardless of what the previous owner says, how old the device is and how old the software/firmware on it is.
re read what I wrote I downloaded the program before I ever did anything.

Quick Reply: Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!