Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Slow speed turning, no knee pads needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:36 AM
dsigrist
Tourer

Take a Ride Like a Pro class or at the very least get one of his videos. As said before it's all about clutch control, rear brake, head/eyes and lots of practice. You'll be amazed at what you can make an 800lb motorcycle do.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:11 AM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Wow! Impressive!!

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:12 AM
gnewman
Road Captain

You said in the video that right turns are harder, I agree. The clutch is at full arm extension. It helps if you slide up toward the tank more on right turns.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:12 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by stro1965
Keep power to that rear wheel and you almost have to try to fall over. Control your speed by using the friction zone and the rear brake.
The Ride Like a Pro video is VERY good at explaining low speed maneuvering. No need to ever duck walk the bike. It's cheaper than a class and explains the techniques clearly.

Old 07-08-2014 | 05:57 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Great video and very brave of you to post here with all the "expert" arm chair 100% error free perfect formed riders to critique your training.

Old 07-08-2014 | 06:51 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Epic, you have great patience. I only practice a few minutes at a time.
I bought my Ultra in 2011. There was a thread saying you should always keep your feet up. I said sometimes that was impossible, like running around in my driveway, which is on a hill, and has a well pipe, and my parked truck as obstacles.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-motorcycle-forum/369075-pick-your-damn-feet-up.html

Then other day I did it without putting my feet down. What was the difference between now and 3 years ago? Mostly improved clutch control, and things slow down after thousands of miles on the same bike. I did take the Rider's Edge Skilled Rider's Course back in 2011.

I would suggest practicing your panic braking. It is hard to force yourself to panic brake in a parking lot. I usually practice it at yellow lights, after checking my mirrors to make sure no one is behind me. It is very easy to lock up your rear brake on a touring bike. This makes your rear end come around. In the SRC, they tell you to keep the wheel locked when this occurs, to avoid a highside fall. If you practice enough you can avoid locking up by releasing at the first hint of squealing lockup, and avoid bringing rear around.

Good luck. You have great focus and should progress quickly.

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:32 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Looks like a pretty good exercise. And I like how you used the parking space makers as your cones. Nice job on the figure 8s. I gotta try my hand at a few. It's been a while.

Old 07-08-2014 | 06:21 PM
EpicCowlick
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the pointers. I've been back to practice twice more and am far more confident now. Interesting that the first turn or two is still hard to hold to 18 feet but I get there very fast now, usually only after the second or third turn. It's clear to me that a person needs to practice regularly if they want to stay sharp while riding slow.

And yes, I am adding more advanced skills like panic stops and u-turns from stop. Next I plan to add my back seat rider and see where I am.