Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Video Taping Cruises. How did you mount your vidcam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Video Taping Cruises. How did you mount your video camera?

I want to take more moving videos of my bike cruises from the driver's perspective. I have been trying to consider the different ways of getting the camera mounted in some fashion so I don't have to hold it and it doesn't bounce the scenes around and give you vertigo, like when hand held.

I have a Canon HF100 mini digital HD camera, stores direct to memory card to make it simple to load in the computer and edit. I have image stabilizing but that doesn't work well if you hand hold the camera while riding. Heck hand holding a camera while operating the bike often gets me into trouble. You just can't clutch or accelerate with a camera strapped to your hand.

Now the only footage of me moving has been taken by the wife and includes my shoulder and the back of my leather, helmet and side shot close ups of my ugly mug.

I want to mount the camera to my helmet on the right side and have the fold out monitor positioned so I can barely see it out the corner of my eye to be certain I'm getting the right positioning. Too many of my hand held experiences includes a lot of ground speeding by. Not the scenery I want to watch ... lol

So I'm looking for some suggestions, and possible some photos of the camera / helmet attachments you've used.

Even though I'm quite accomplished in travel videos from vehicles the best way to capture a cycle ride has been with the wife using the camera while I focus (pun intended) on the driving.

I've also considered some type of tripod mount off of the trunk so the camera always shoots the view you'd see if you were driving down the road. I think the helmet mount idea will have less vibration than off the trunk.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Like ever drop your camera while doing 60? Etc.

Thanks!

BTW I have searched the archives and read some similar posting, just looking for comments on the project I am trying to accomplish

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-02-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gopro makes a great camera with all kinds of mounts. i have mounted it to my highway pegs, handlebars, and it has an accessory for a helmet mount. what makes this camera great for harleys is the fact that if you hard mount it, vibrations don't produce stutter or jello imaging, like other cameras. somewhere in their firmware they mitigate this, and it takes beautiful video.

as for seeing what you are shooting, i wouldn't worry about a monitor. the gopro has 4 lens settings, super wide, or a vertical 960 degree shot, depending on where you are at (for instance, when i rode into the new river gorge, i had the vertical setting on so you could see the bridge above me).

Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

I already have a $900 modern Canon video camera that is outstanding. Looking for helmet mount ideas. I've already looked at some mounts manufactured specifically for a particular camera, like gopro.

I've seen some that strap to a helmet but they are designed for smaller sized remote lens only sized mounts and not a whole camera.

Heck I've thought of drilling a hole in the top of the helmet and just going with a mounting bolt.

Preferable I want to mount of to the right side of the helmet. Again with the fold out monitor just off the edge of my view.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I want to take more moving videos of my bike cruises from the driver's perspective. I have been trying to consider the different ways of getting the camera mounted in some fashion so I don't have to hold it and it doesn't bounce the scenes around and give you vertigo, like when hand held. < cut out some >.....

I have a Canon HF100 mini digital HD camera, stores direct to memory card to make it simple to load in the computer and edit.
Hmmm on the helmet not sure, never done that. You might could buy one of those HeadLites (flashlites that strap on your head) and somehow attach the camera to it .
I have had decent results with the following method (but admittedly would not give the turn and aim capability of the helmet mount).
I bought a leather $4 measure tape holder for a carpenter's tool belt. I cut just enough of the leather out to let my Nikon digital camera slide down into the pouch with it's lens sitting in the round bottom (U shaped) cut out. I put a folded cloth in the back to steady the camera in the extra space. I hang the pouch over my neck with phone wire. I start the camera on video before starting out and then just slip it into the tape pouch and ride away.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you think it's safe altering a helmet to mount a camera? I was thinking epoxy a mount bracket where I need it and not drill holes into the helmet.

I wonder if it violates any laws to have the camera monitor in my peripheral view?

I read in another thread to be certain to secure the camera with a tether ... I have to agree to that! It's almost slipped loose of my hand while cruising. I'm certain one smack to the pavement and say goodbye to the $$$ investment.

My camera straps on your right hand that you need to throttle with. So another reason to mount it.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
ruf361
Cruiser

I have never taped a ride, but I have watched plenty of videos. I think you should find a static place on your bike to mount the camera, Helmet cams are often shakey.
I really like this guys videos, he uses multiple cameras. The first link is a helmet cam, the 2nd one has bike mounted cams. You Decide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXiVZtVIjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52Ft...eature=related

Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 PM
W0ace
Tourer

I have a small HD cam I just got velcroed to my helmet. It works great mount wise, plenty strong and stuff, but I move my head around ALL THE TIME!!! Videos kinda suck cause of it. I never really thought I moved this much, but I'm looking around all the time, so I think bike mounted would be the best way to go, planning on redoing mine to bike soon, jsut not sure where yet. Maybe aroudn the top of one of the side lowers up front.....

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 AM
onfloat
Cruiser

I'd forget trying to see the monitor, it might prove to distracting. Target fixation of trying to get the right shot or something like that.

Instead just mount the camera on your helmet and put a target reticle on your visor that matches roughly where your camera is aimed, then just ride.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
dave2800
Cruiser

I use the RAM Camera Mount for shooting my videos as it is very stable with no shaking. I have it mounted in on the handle bars most of the time but I have also mounted it on the bottom of the engine guard as well. I'm not sure how heavy your camera is but it may get uncomfortable having it mounted on your helmet if it is to heavy.

I used to shot my videos with my Canon Pro1 but I just bought a Contour GPS video camera and love it. It shots 1080p HD video up to 8 hours of video depending on card size. The Contour GPS camera only weighs 5.2 ounces and also has a tether on it. They have many types of mounts including helmet mounts. The Contour GPS shows elevation, speed and follows your location on a map. You can see some of my test videos here http://contour.com/users/dave28

Here is a test video I shot and edited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6aEzpiWRGk

Dave

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

With your Canon HF100 a good way to mount it would be to get an old helmet, drill a hole in the top and with flat washers on both sides, bolt it down by the tripod mount. As for your point of view (aiming it) the normal lens on most of these cams are already wide angle enough that you can do some simple test shooting off the bike and dial it in. Before you drill the hole, just tape it on to the helmet with blue painter's tape (which won't leave residue on the cam) and walk around looking at stuff. Then view the footage and see where you are.You want it so the cam centers up on whatever you're looking at without you having to think about it.

As for camera security the bolt, washers and nut will be strong enough but if you want you can add a "last hope rope" between the camera and where the strap attaches inside the helmet. Run some tape over that and it won't flutter. But basically all that's for is if you forget the camera is there and bang the cam into some low hanging obstruction. But in the end that's what you want - to somewhat forget the cam is there while you're riding.

One issue you may have with the Cannon is wind noise. Depending on where the pick-up mic is located you might need to get some high density foam and muffle the mic so you hear the bike more than the wind.

Lately, I've been using the GoPro HD cam and besides it being tiny and ultra-lightweight it also has a wind noise canceling capability built into its firmware. It also mounts easily as it was originally designed to be a POV cam and mounted in odd places at high speed. The few hundred they cost, and the performance you get, is well worth it. But GoPro just released a new stripped down model for $179! I think the only thing it lacks is the serial bus but that's not critical for what you're doing and instead of being 1080P it records at 960P.

More info is here: http://www.goprocamera.com/products/...960-camera.php

The below vid is on my Evo with a GoPro HD edited with CyberLink Power Director. (Going down the driveway in the beginning you'll noticed I had to duck the cam under a low hanging tree branch, LOL.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlxra...eature=related

Quick Reply: Video Taping Cruises. How did you mount your vidcam?