Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Video Taping Cruises. How did you mount your vidcam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you everyone for bringing your footage to this thread for me to see, and compare.

So far the wife has done fair capturing some traveling video, mostly under slow speed conditions. We taped our ride through Caseville, Mi during the Cheeseburgers In Caseville festival and taped a lot of the Bikes on the Bricks in Flint just a few months ago. At events like these you wind up off the bike and going hand held to capture the activities.

I actually thought about a second helmet just for the camera, and how easy it would be to bolt it down. Dead center on the helmet would balance better too.

I really enjoy viewing the ride from behind the bars where you feel like your driving. But the stationary view from the highway bars or handlebars has less bouncing around motions. On the helmet your moves for better footage could be a distraction, and your moves for safety purposes throw the view all around.

I've considered a tripod setup off the trunk but it really vibrates all the time, bad. And I have a full windshield that the camera has to shoot over. Typically the windshield add reflections.

Having been a studio cameraman in broadcasting steady shots are the best to share with others. I can see I have a few decisions to make on how I would like to capture my travels. Or at least the highlights.

Maybe I just need my own road crew? lol

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>But the stationary view from the highway bars or handlebars has less bouncing around motions.<<

In the case of the vid I posted, I'm on a rigid hardtail (isn't that redundant? LOL,) and I'm sure helmet mounted would be smoother for you . . .

Last edited by NickD; 12-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, that was a great video. highly enjoyed it.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 AM
GnarleyDavidson
Intermediate

as stated before goprohd mounted cameras are gonna be the best quality for your buck
i have these funny spy glasses with a camera in them i got off ebay for 25 bucks
the quality is not good but its viewable, no where close to a gopro's
but for 25 bucks ive had a lot of fun with them

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser

i agree, you will get the best bang with a go pro and the mounting possibilities are endless...

Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Johnny,

I just got around to watching your stuff. It rocks!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave2800
I use the RAM Camera Mount for shooting my videos as it is very stable with no shaking. I have it mounted in on the handle bars most of the time but I have also mounted it on the bottom of the engine guard as well. I'm not sure how heavy your camera is but it may get uncomfortable having it mounted on your helmet if it is to heavy.

I used to shot my videos with my Canon Pro1 but I just bought a Contour GPS video camera and love it. It shots 1080p HD video up to 8 hours of video depending on card size. The Contour GPS camera only weighs 5.2 ounces and also has a tether on it. They have many types of mounts including helmet mounts. The Contour GPS shows elevation, speed and follows your location on a map. You can see some of my test videos here http://contour.com/users/dave28
Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks for sharing all the vids. They are so nice, and I couldn't wait for my Contour GPS HD that I've just ordered few days ago.
Two questions for you.
  1. Are you using Contour handlebar mount, or aftermarket RAM mount?
  2. You have mentioned about video editing, so I assume there is some kind of vibration, and/or lighting issue involve, isn't it?
Nick

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
pstmstr
Cruiser

+4, just got a gopro and love the quality of the vids, helmet mounted makes you feel like you're on the ride again when you watch it, especially on my ipad.