Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM
gm9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?

I for the life of me can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I mounted my $2000 Sony Handycam to my Ultra's handlebars with a RAM camera mount and there's so much vibration at any speed that all video is worthless. I even tried mounting the RAM to the engine guard (crash bars). Still way too much shake.
I thought maybe the camera was too heavy, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new $800 Cannon M30 digital camera. It is suppose to have three kinds of image stabilazation. Again there is so much shake the video is worthless. Asample is attached. What the heck am I doing wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GutzK26zFn4

Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
120hp harley
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

at rest it looks like v-twin vibration but at speed it looks like your IS is trying to compensate and can't. That's a problem with digital IS. try mounting to your helmet if you can. I've had good sucess with a cheap GO-Pro on my shifter kart at speeds over 100mph.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if there is any play in the mount, if there is then roll up some tape and wedge it in to give it a little cussion without the slop. Then check your camera settings to see if it has any stabilization setting.

My camera showed some vibration at idle but it smoothed out when I got rolling. You get a bit of jumpiness, but I think it gives a good feel to the video. If you want better then go with a helmet cam, but keep in mind that your head turns quick when checking traffic and such and watching someone snap left and right every few seconds can be annoying. On the other hand you get the oportunity to see more scenery than you would with the handlebar mount.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Just a thought, does your bike vibrate more than other bikes? If so, could you have a bad engine mount?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tao3535
Check to see if there is any play in the mount, if there is then roll up some tape and wedge it in to give it a little cussion without the slop. Then check your camera settings to see if it has any stabilization setting.

My camera showed some vibration at idle but it smoothed out when I got rolling. You get a bit of jumpiness, but I think it gives a good feel to the video. If you want better then go with a helmet cam, but keep in mind that your head turns quick when checking traffic and such and watching someone snap left and right every few seconds can be annoying. On the other hand you get the oportunity to see more scenery than you would with the handlebar mount.
Thanks for the reply.

The RAM mount was tightly secured to the handlebars. The Handlebars do vibrate considerably at idle but seem to smooth out when the bike is moving. I think I need a Goldwing, except other Harley riders produce good videos.

I bought the Cannon because it supposedly has three types; electronic IS, optical IS, and a super IS setting. I'm fairly certain the camera settings were set for the first two and I had pushed the button for the third.

Gary

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Just a thought, does your bike vibrate more than other bikes? If so, could you have a bad engine mount?
"...more than other bikes?" Of course, it's a Harley. lol I have no frame of reference though to know if it vibrates more than other Harleys, but seems pretty normal. I'll ask some of my fellow HOG members at our next meeting.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the distance between the camera and where it is clamped to the handlebar. You want to keep this distance to a minimum. A little movement at the handlebar becomes a lot of movement at 6 inches away. Can you post a picture of how it's mounted?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 AM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ultra-Rick
Whats the distance between the camera and where it is clamped to the handlebar. You want to keep this distance to a minimum. A little movement at the handlebar becomes a lot of movement at 6 inches away. Can you post a picture of how it's mounted?

Will do. (Later today.)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
gm9
Cruiser

Camera Mount Pictures:

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?-cam-mount2.jpg

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?-cam-mount1.jpg

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?-cam-mount3.jpg

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?-cam-mount5.jpg

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?-cam-mount4.jpg

Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The problem is the mount. Since the cam has a little weight to it, and you have that arm it is basically allowing the vibration to be amplified. I had the same issue with a mount for my GPS, shook like hell with the arm, but made my own mount our of some 1/8" thick x 2" wide aluminum and it is solid as a rock now.

Quick Reply: Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?